Originally Posted by JBabcock
My Model 70 SS Classic 338 Win Mag weighs 8.37 with scope. And I'm not sure I would want it any lighter than that. Both of the cartridges you mention are wildcats. If that's not an issure for you, then have at her. Personally I don't see the advantage though. With both of them, you are trying to approach a known commodity, in terms of power, as the 338 WM. If so, why not just go with it? Lot's better choice of rifles, and easy ammo access. The 225 grain bullet of any make is going to really rock in terms of recoil, so personally I want some gun weight. In terms of resale, the 338 WM will always sell better than the wildcats too.

My thought's? Your wasting your time and money when you can go out and buy a rifle that will do everything you want to accomplish. I've used my 338 on Whitetails to Grizzlies, and it works just fine. Can't see where either of the wildcats you mention would be better in any practical way. As to the advantages of a short action, I think they exist more in the mind than real world performance. If I was bound and determined to own a short 338 mag, I'd go with the Ruger. As to Wildcats, they just don't appeal to me that much. Seems to me your just reinventing the wheel.

Agree completely with JBabcock on this.You can build a 338 that will come in at about 8 pounds,with a snappy 23" barrel.And if full house loads in the 338 rock you a bit,swap over to RL15 and 200-225 gr bullets at reduced velocity for the same velocities the AI or the WSM wildcats will get loaded to the gills.Less recoil, factory brass,plenty of lethal effect....what's not to like?

I could care less about short actions,since I don't understand what all the fuss is about.YMMV.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.