An article and book chapter on the following subject were already on my "to do" list when someone on some forum asked a question about burning rates that begged for this discussion of bulk density. Then that *&^%$#@! stroke erased a bit of my memory, so even if I could remember which forum, I couldn't answer his question specifically. I don't remember what was confusing him. I do remember generally that none of the ensuing posts in the thread answered his question accurately.<P>Differences in bulk densities account for the fact that while x grains of powder A fills a case, x grains of powder B (same brand!) may either overflow the mouth or fail to fill the case. It's easy and common to think that a grain of one powder occupies the same space as a grain of any other powder -- that that a cubic inch of one powder weighs the same as a cubic inch of another powder. Ain't so, McGee!<P>To illustrate the different bulk densities of different powders, I planned to put equal charges of different powders in identical graduated cylinders, to report the differences in their bulk densities in an easily visualized set of figures.<P>This afternoon, I struggled across the yard to bring a canister of powder in from the garage. Wasn't sure but thought I might have some Winchester 231 or 296. Turned out I have both. When I set out a canister of each, side by side, the dramatic difference in their diameters and heights was striking. I checked their net weights -- one pound (453.6 grams) each.<P>I had my illustration for showing the difference in the bulk densities of two Ball powders from the same manufacturer!<P>The cylindrical main body of the one-pound W-W 296 canister is about 2.6 inches in diameter and about 6 inches high.<P>The cylindrical main body of the one-pound W-W 231 canister is about 3.4 inches in diameter and about 7.2 inches high.<P>Quick, rough figgerin' suggests that one pound (7,000 grains) of W-W 296 occupies about 30 cubic inches, and a pound of W-W 231 occupies about 65 cubic inches. The same ratio applies to any other weight of these two powders, of course.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.