Aggie, agreed.....they (Rem) perhaps correlated their EGOS w/size and paper stats of cartridges, instead of looking deeper as those in the know do smile

Shot placement is a necessity regardless of power, etc. I don't advocate long range shooting for the masses, but realize when those who prepare and study ballistics well, having sufficient range time, they CAN be effective further than many hunters w/o that experience and knowledge. If in doubt......one should likely hold fire.

My furthest kill was a deer right at 400 yds, using a pipsqueak 6mm BR. I had practiced often to 415 yds and well knew where to hold w/my mil-dot scope, threaded a 105 amax thru both lungs broadside w/retained energy of just over 1k, and it was down in less than 25 yds.

I had 100% confidence when squeezing off that shot as I knew my rifle, and the range. I had virtually no wind, a calm animal walking slowly so conditions were good. A rock solid rest w/a heavy bbl Ruger #1 w/Kepplinger set trigger breaking at 8 ounces made it a chip shot to be honest. When all is right, shots can be made much further but bullets drop and drift ALOT as one gets on out there and I typically use a 400 yd limit for me, and usually kill at if not much less than half that distance.

When the conditions are poor i.e. bad shot angle, having surplus energy, etc. is not a bad thing if one is considering a shot. If one knows their rifle and cartridge limits and is confident all is usually well, but if confidence is lacking, one might better change what tools they use for the job. I believe a LACK OF CONFIDENCE can be detrimental to bullet placement just as excessive recoil as lack of shot cycle follow thru may occur.