Originally Posted by Steve_NO
I want to hear more about this knife Bobby used on the pig.....what kind of moly coated premium knife was used.

I always figured my Cold steel Bushranger would make a fine pigsticker......maybe from horseback like back in the Raj.

BTW.....if anybody wants to shoot a bunch of nutria, come on down to LA. They may be a little oily, but we got plenty of them.

Steve it was a clipped bowie that Bubba the fella that owned the hounds carried strapped on in a shoulder type rig. It had a full brass guard and hilt to protect the hand. At least a 10" blade. True pig sticker.
Bubba (his real name) is 72 years old and didn't act a day older than 45. Near the end of the first nights hunt the dogs were getting tired and he had his friend drive while he took the dogs out in front of the truck and roaded them trying to get them to strike a fresh trail. Watched him run uphill with the dogs for about a quarter of a mile. We should all hope to be in that condition at his age!
The strike dogs he brought the first night were Lacy's and at least one was crossed with a bird dog (pointer I presume) to improve their nose and stamina. Tough dogs. The catch dogs were pit bull - bull mastiff crosses stout enough to ride.
I spent most of my young life running coon hounds and expected to hear a race but this hog was very close to a cut bank ledge eight or nine feet deep twenty or so feet wide and only a little over three feet high and this hog put his back to the wall damn quick.
That's what made this so western was the location he bayed up at needed a confined space permit and I figure Bobby had one in his pocket cuz Bubba handed him the knife and he pricked his heart as slick as any slaughter house man I've ever seen. Three of the dogs got hog cut back in that hole but no one else got a scratch, except the hog. I was right behind him shining a strong light with one hand free to grab him by the belt and head for the nearest pecan tree but it turned out just fine. We helped Bubba patch up the dogs gave them water and Gatorade then took off again. I figure the dogs were real glad Bobby showed up when he did... grin

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~