The old, reliable general dependability of canister powders seems to be going to Hell in a hurry. I can't speak to your question with any precise focus, but I've been getting disturbing reports about certain powders and at least one powder company's contracting practices.
<br>
<br>Some powders do indeed seem, according to some reports, to vary more from lot to lot than used to be considered normal lot-to-lot variation.
<br>
<br>I'm TOLD that one certain importer-repackager of canister powders (no, not Hodgdon) has one carload of its "XYZ-4000" powder made under contract with one manufacturer in one country one time, then by another manufacturer in another country another time.
<br>
<br>Both powder chemistry and powder manufacturing can be dependable enough for this to work as well as having one manufacturer make carload after carload of the same stuff month after month and year after year. But trotting around the globe with a sheaf of mimeographed copies of the same specs and the same contract strikes me as asking for wild variations in different carloads of "the same" powder.
<br>
<br>The best thing, I suppose, is to buy your powder in as large a quantity as you can manage, then drop your charges 'way back and test it as cautiously as a turpentined tomcat before you settle on any load with it.
<br>
<br>I hope to spend some time with Bob Hodgdon next week. I'll try to remember to bring this up, to see what he can tell me.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.