What works best on 30 to 100 yard lung shots that results in minimum run? Last year, I used a 150 Sierra FN at 2300fps. On a large doe 50 yard broadside shot, entrance was tight behind the front leg about half way up. The bullet left a small exit hole, about the size of a pencil. The doe trotted away about 30 yards and stood on the other side of another doe, preventing a second shot. She then moved out of sight. I found her within a few minutes and had to shoot her again as she tried to run off. Both shots were right to left through the lungs just behind the front leg. Only one bullet exited. I assume that the first one did and the one from 30 feet didn't. There was massive damage to the lungs but no way to tell which bullet did what. I've used many calibers but this was the first time for the 30-30. Does it have enough velocity to ever work as well as say a 7mm08 or 308? I do like to have two holes, in case tracking is necessary.

What have you experienced with the 30-30? I'm about ready to go back to using my favorite 7mm08 and call it a day!