All of the issues over long and short-or regular Colt cartridges came along because of a change in the ammunition. Original Colt 41 and 38 cal. rounds were loaded with full caliber "heeled" bullets that were outside lubed. The change came along at the instigation of the Russians, whereby the cartridge dimensions remained the same, but the bullets were now inside lubed, and fit into the brass/copper case. Not only did this reduce the diameter of the bullet, but the new cases were longer to accommodate inside lubed bullets-thus, the "long" moniker.
There was never any need to refer to the .45 Colt as the "long", because the storied round was designed from the start with an inside lubed bullet. It never went through a redesign, so it never had its case shortened, or lengthened.
It is also true that throughout the 19th Century, no handgun manufacturer other than Colt ever chambered the great round.
It is true that the army listened to Col. Schofield, and ordered some 6,000 examples for cavalry use, however these rounds were not true short Colt rounds-they were simply referred to as .45 Revolver.
There was a 450 Short Colt, which was actually one of the nonsensically confusing spinoffs of British handgun cartridges, however it bore no relation to the 45 Colt dimensionally, or in terms of pedigree.
British Cartridges were sometimes referred to as Colt cartridges, probably because they found their way in Colt guns. The most well known was the 455 Eley-a.k.a. the 455 Webley, 475 Enfield, and the 455 Colt.
The term .45 Long Colt was never an official moniker, it was essentially slang, today so pervasive that if you say 45 Colt to most gun store counter types, you get a very blank look.
I pointed this out to one gun store employee, and he thought I was talking about the .45 ACP! Another replied...well, you might be right, but I don't care, because long colt just sounds so cool!
What can one do with that?