Sheister
<br>You have had to put up with my dronings about finish, so I won't go back there, except to say egg-shell luster oil finish, but for wood it has to be the prettiest piece I can get my hands on at the moment...
<br>
<br>Any walnut has to be in serious contention for any stock, anytime, with good english varieties at the top, bastogne close behind. The best myrtle is right in there as well.
<br>
<br>For a light rifle you cannot beat western bigleaf maple, but it hardly works on a big recoiling piece, but then the weight would be a problem there too.
<br>
<br>Mesquite is nice stuff, but I have been having trouble trying to get a figured piece of it for years. Believe I might be on to some now...
<br>
<br>I like ebony for forend tips and grip caps, horn for buttplates. A sissy pad is ok when it goes on a serious recoiling unit, but otherwise they are too ugly for my tastes. ( I did put one on my new 375 AI though)
<br>
<br>Checkering is wasted if it is too fine, it is there to grip, so make it grippable. I almost always make some version of fleur de leis for my own and the style has changed over the years, which I think is a good thing.
<br>
<br>Falling asleep at the keyboard... more later
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.