January Recipe .257WBY

Originally Posted by 257wby
I do. This is a family favorite to accompany beef, either grilled or roasted. It was originally called Golden Onions, but is now affectionately know as Onion Pie at our house.

6 medium onions, sliced
3/4 cup of butter divided
1/4 cup of all purpose flower
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
2 cups of milk
2 T chicken bullion granules
1/4 Cup of burgundy wine
3/4 pound of swiss or gruyere cheese, shredded
1 french baugette sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
4 T melted butter

In a large skillet, saute the onions in 1/2 cup of butter over medium heat stirring frequently until translucent. About 15 minutes. Transfer onions to a buttered 2-quart shallow baking dish and set aside.

In a large sauce pan over low heat, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour and stir for for 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, milk and bullion granules ( I substitute chicken soup base)stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in the burgundy. Pour the sauce over the onions.

Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Dip one side of the bread slices in 4 T of melted butter. Place slices buttered side up over the sauce covering the sauce completely.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bread is completely browned.
After baking let it set up for a few minutes and enjoy!

It is supposed to serve 8. Enjoy! Jeff

If you have any questions about the prep, fire away! I generally use a smaller baugette than the picture and crowd them closer so everyone gets a baugette with every spoonful.

[Linked Image]

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson