Much is made of scope resolution under dim lighting conditions on the forum. Where I've hunted a more frequent issue to me is glare and flare by trying to look towards the sun when it is low on the horizon. I've not done any testing in an organized way but I noticed a big difference when I replaced my old Weaver K4 with a Leupold Vari-XII back in the 80's.

About that same time my son and his friend on a backpack hunt reported that they could not get off a shot because of glare. My son was using a cheap Bushnell scope, don't recall what his friend had. (Told my son that keeping his lenses clean of dust also helps!)

Lately, I have looked through a few scopes in a long room in my basement with overhead lights that can be turned on and off to change light angles. There is considerable difference in how different scopes deal with light coming in at different angles.

Has anyone else experienced this?

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson