Originally Posted by m3taco
I've been thinking about getting a suppressor.

Here is what I currently understand:

1. Need to apply to BATF and pay the $200 "tax" for the can.
2. Need local LE to sign off on it.
3. If/When approved the same can can be used on multiple weapons of the same caliber.

Here is what I am interested in doing. I am thinking about getting a can for .223 cal and also being able to use it on a .22 cal and a .22 Mag. It is my understanding that the size and suppression ability of one for a .223/5.56 would be a bit of over-kill when fitted on a .22LR/.22 Mag., but that shouldn't be too much of a problem...right?

Am I missing anything?

Sounds as if you have included everything but the wait. I just received the tax stamp for my first can after an exact six month wait. I sent the package in on 15 August, they cashed the check on the 18th, and I received the stamp last week.

One thing that you might consider doing is looking into creating a trust to own the can so that members of the trust may inherit the can when you die. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but I'm looking into it as I'm finding that suppressors are kind of like 'tater chips, you can't have just one.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson