Blows my mind to see some one mention the perils of Gold and then suggest a bond fund at this juncture. Especially one with a new fund manager and zero diversification.
The whole Caveat I see in this statement;
"If such a collapse occurred you would be far better off having invested in 25-year shelf-life food"
Is the word **IF** because **IF** that doesn't happen Gold will be a vastly better investment irrespective of what price point you bought in at. Not that I'm advocating hoarding any time, or buying at least until we see a pull back.
As with most things Balance is the order of the day. Every investment portfolio should have some Gold. Ideally ten %. This is the same thing I said for years on the fire. I greatly prefer physical gold to the GLD but to each his own.
The greater problem I see with individual investors every day is pi** poor planning. No one wanted to buy metal at record lows just a few years ago. Now people want to chase performance. No one wanted bonds a few years back when rates were favorable. Now they want to flock to the fallacy of "safety".
The absolute epitome of poor timing on each end.