Originally Posted by mtrancher
I think when the proper riding techniques are discussed one has to realize than an instructor at a stable teaching a newcomer how to ride in an arena probably has principles that don't apply to those of us here who were literally in the saddle before we were walking. One learns and adapts according to the saddles, horses, country, and the riding required. If you ride incorrectly it hurts and you learn to adjust.

That's for sure Mtrancher.

As a lad in the mid 50's, I rode little paint welsh pony to and from a farm I helped out on. There were no riding lessons then and it was stirckly learning how not to fall off,no matter the riding style or techinque.

Then I moved to NM and spent 10 years or so riding while hunting and a few old fellows took me under thier wing and taught me how to pack where I did some guiding, packing, and hunting in the Pecos Wilderness and San Pedro Parks area NE of Cuba NM.That riding was mostly in the back country mountains pulling pack strings, etc,Riding horses and packing mules. No great challenge, but definitely a different type of riding.

Moving to CO,I started riding mules in about 76 or so. By the early eighties, my wife and I were competing in most arena events with mules in a lot of local county events and several state fairs,including NM,CO,TX and Bishop Mule Days in Bishop, CA. At that time, you rode what I call text book riding. You rode to what the judges wanted and to see a lot of judges wanted to see differnet things, but it certainly was not mountain riding.

Duirng that time I was hauling mules out of NW NM as yearlings and weanlings,raising and training them as saddle mules. Several took winnings as reining mules and my wife was the International Side Saddle Mule rider in 1986 and national high point in 1985. Certainly riding in those events was different than riding young mules and took different techiques. While hunting,I was on green mule for every hunting season in the eighties and early nineties,

We quit showing in the early nineties as lot of the bickering ,etc. that you see in horse shows was bleeding over into mule competitions and a person gets burnt out because of it.

I them returned to just hunting, packing,and a little guiding, back to the mountains and most of my comments were directed to that type of riding. Presently I am, as you commented, into riding for comfort. I give up a little correctness for comfort. I quit packing in due to health and age and now usually ride in 6-8 miles, hunt and then ride back out to camp every day. As a comfortable bed beats a short ride any day.

Many differnt riding styles and techniques over the years, but I can truthfully say,I was only bucked off three times in my life. Twice from complete surprises of young mules and once with a mule that went south on loco weed. I never had a mule I raised buck with me but the older ones I bought sure could be a challenge.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/21/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles