Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
TIPS gig may have some merit

As long as you believe in a highly inflationary economy they do have a place for a small position. It's just not a good place to park with low inflation and will reverse course in a hurry if we approach deflation.

Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
MacLorry is no "novice" investor

From what I can see so far he's just another follow the pack type that lacks understanding for other strategies. That clearly "works" for some. No doubt he's one of the many that sold at the absolute bottom of the market a few years ago and parked his spoils in a "safe" fund while others were picking up on the buying opportunity of a lifetime. Most investors don't shun 300% gains and understand the rate of inflation.
Probably the best indication we can see that McLorry is a "follower" is the suggestion to buy emerging market funds. Many if not most of which are heavily invested in foreign banks. Emerging Market funds are just the flavor of the moment for those who missed the US bank run over the last two months.
Not every one with a 401K or IRA is an investor.
In either event IMO one of the key aspects of investing is realizing that sometimes you have to make plays that are out of your comfort zone unless you are willing to watch many opportunities pass you by.
With Gold some didn't just miss the boat. They never made it to the dock. They operate on the premise that no one could buy at the right time or sell at an opportune time. Nothing could be further from the truth. Many bought physical Gold or the GLD (Both sell quickly) just a few short years ago, made huge gains and then sold off enough that what they are left holding was paid for with capital gains. In essence their remaining investment cost them nothing.
That's what an investor does, at least from my perspective.
Some one asked why I buy Gold if I'm not worried about inflation- The answer is because the market doesn't always respond logically and I like investments that I can see are solid buys. To me it was a no brainer when Gold was under $400 an ounce. We had those discussions right here on the Fire several years ago with the same naysayers suggesting it was a poor move.
They were the majority with that view. wink