Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Ya know. In reading some of the posts where a few put the officers involved down for making the decision to arrest didn't sit very well with me. It's really easy to be a back seat driver, or an arm chair quaterback, or any other term you want to apply. One mentioned, "what happened to officer discretion"? We have all the time in the world to sift through things after the fact, but a cop has to make his decision right then and there for the most part. I made arrests maybe that I shouldn't have made. But based on the situation at hand, I made my decision. If the cause was found, the arrest stood. If the evidence didn't support me, as in this case, the charges were dropped. Everyone involved with this did the job they were hired to do. What more can you ask of anyone?

I think we could have and must ask for common sense to prevail. The arresting officer "jumped his gun" in being so quick to arrest the victim. Had he used better judgement, the victim would have never gone through what was foisted upon him, and he would not have an arrest record to contend with.

On the outside, looking in...it appears that LEO takes no interest in the long term ramifications of these quick arrests and the harm they might cause an innocent person who plays by the rules all his life and causes no harm, ever.

This isn't a condemnation of LEO painted with a broad brush, but...dammit...LEO works for us who abide by the law, and they need to remember that sometimes, while doing the most difficult job imaginable...to protect us all.

Not picking, but you have no experience in this area, do you?? How many crime scenes involving shootings, use of deadly force, etc. have you been to?? I can guarantee, that this wasn't some, "shake & bake" hurry up make an arrest situation.

I can again guarantee you that the arresting LEO wasn't the only officer on the scene, I can also guarantee you that he probably wasn't the highest ranking either. I can also guarantee you that a patrol unit front-hood "Pow Wow" was held, as to where to go with this case.