Thanks for the links MacLorry

I'm fairly well covered in the #10 cans as well.

can't believe what a blessing hunting has been in my life and love of the outdoors just in general.

I already know what MH meals I like and the c/o ratio due to using them and other freeze dried type foods for sheep hunting for many years.

I'm also pretty comfortable about how to purfiy available water, generate some electricity and what it's like to live without running water and electricity.

truthfully I don't really ever expect to have to do any of the above for much longer than 3-6 months in this country if ever.

but it damned sure is a comfort to know that what I've enjoyed recreating at, provides life skills that many of my peers don't have a clue about.

I'm also pretty comfortable not having quick access to the 400 acres or so at my disposal. In my mind in a true SHTF scenario I don't want to be trying to farm those places, as has been mentioned here, if the gangs don't get it the gov't is apt to.

In my mind being self sufficient in the deep woods pretty much off the radar is about the best place one could hope to be if things ever got really ugly (and I hope they never do)

after the dust settles and some sense of normalcy resumes is the time to see what you have of value, stocks, bonds, pms, cash etc.

then perhaps it will indeed be time to return to my farming roots

or just resume biz endeavors or whatever.

Gath is correct, if all you have is gold for SHTF you ain't nearly prepared enough imo.

but if you can survive the nastiness (if there is any) and then have some vehicle that held wealth, whether TIPS accounts, gold, stocks and bonds, foreign bank accounts whatever, we can go about rebuilding our country and society.

really think these discussions are good, and while one is never as prepared as one would like to be, in a true emergency, better prepardness along with a heaping helping of luck can often see you through in better fashion than most folks.

lots of good info on this thread guys, thank you

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.