Well I would suggest finding a good fly shop near you and spend money first on casting lessons, this will save you years of trial and error, I know from first hand experience. Second, the shop will let you cast rods, picking a rod is as individual a thing as picking out a rifle and cartridge for hunting. Buy good stuff, because its the cheapest way to do it. I have not bought a fly rod or reel since the mid 1980's My favorite trout rod is a Sage Graphite II 8' 6" for a five weight with an Hardy LRH reel and a couple of extra spools. Top of the line when I bought it back in 1982, I long forgot what I paid, and in the last thirty years, its the rod I pick up for trout fishing and I have a bunch of rods. Then take some fly tying lessons and learn to tie. Its can be as in expensive and simple or as costly and complicated as you wish to make it. There is one thing though, you should be warned its very addictive and its the most enjoyable thing you can do standing knee deep in a stream with lots of tout in a feeding mood and you have the right fly on the line.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov