Have pretty extensive experience with a pre-safety Rossi 92 in 357, and a newer, bolt safety version. The newer gun has better fit and finish than the old, but both work well with 357 softpoints. The pre-safety model needs a taller front sight, as it is impossible to get her to shoot to point of aim at distances inside 40 yards, even with the rear sight adjusted all the way down. The newer gun seems better regulated, but for me, if I wanted to do more than shoot at targets for fun, I'd have to look into better sight options. For serious work, I prefer to rely on true rifle cartridges, rather than pistol cartridges-just my personal preference, and my personal opinion.
With all 92s, Rossi included, you have to be very conscious of OAL to get proper feeding.
All in all, for the price range, which is less than half of most Winchesters, and maybe 2/3 of Marlin, the Rossi offers a good value. Still, if I was intending on a serious working tool, rather than an entertaining plinker, and I could afford it, I would take a long look at the new Miroku 92s sold by Winchester.