Originally Posted by Notropis
I just picked up a Uberti 1873 in 44/40 for Cowboy shooting. What parts or modifications should I consider to make the rifle slick and fast? Can I do most of it myself or would it be better to let a pro deal with it?

I'm new to CAS so not an expert on any level. That said, I bought a used 1873 in .44 Special. I love tinkering with guns so it never entered my mind to send it off for work. I ordered a short stroke kit from Pioneer Gun works and installed it myself. The work really isn't difficult at all, but fitting is a little tedious in that disassembly/reassembly is required. The kit included good instructions.
As far as slicking it up, shoot the gun for a while then disassemble it and using oiled 400 wet/dry sandpaper, polish the parts that rub each other. There's a lot that can be done with regards to lightening springs, but it's too much to detail here. If you're not comfortable figuring it out on your own, there are instructional videos available.

35WN

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor