Horse bites can be ugly. When I was a kid, my folks told of a lady they knew who had lost a breast to a horse bite.

I never met an unpredictable horse. One just has to know how to communicate with them. I am moderately fluent in horse. I know some who are proficient and I am jealous of them.

All most every horse exhibits a tendency towards biting as a colt or filly. It is how they communicate within the herd and establish dominance. Biting of humans must be trained out of them.

Horses telegraph their intention to bite, an experienced horse person recognizes that for what it is and avoids the bite, and offers negative reinforcement.

A city kid, or adult, visiting a "petting zoo" has not a chance of recognizing the signals which my eight year old grand daughter surely would. The eight year old would not be bashful about slapping the offending pony right in the kisser either.

There a few simple rules to be safe around horses:
Always speak as you approach from the rear, so that you do not startle the horse.

Never step behind a horse with more than one foot space between you and the horse, or less than eight feet of space. The horses hind leg is less than eight feet long. And he can not really hurt you if you are actually right up against his butt when he tries to kick.

Never trust a horses mouth, especially a strange horse. He can hurt you severely with his teeth. Watch for the typical signs of displeasure such as laid back ears and bared teeth. If you see that, something is going to get bit.

There is nothing in this world better for a kid than to have a relationship with animals in general and horses in particular. Learning to be a proficient rider teaches numerous skills, both mental and physical. Not the least of which is a spirit of cooperation.

There is nothing better than watching a youngster and his horse mastering new skills together.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.