jim in Oregon

Butlers own a pile of land across the street from the old King farm. Te pond is still there as are the farm buildings and abandon house. I suspect this will be the last year though. Tregoning farmed that land for years and he just passed-on last year now Roy Stanley farms it till the houses replace everything.

Yeah, I know about folks sticking close to home. Most of everyone I went to school with still live in the same place (town/city) back in Wisconsin.

The little Cedar Grove Store is still operating as is the gas station. Clarksburg is not recognizable even from what it was two years back. All new home, thousands of them and the roads are choked with folks that have no idea of driving on narrow farm roads - - - One lane??? What's that?

Butlers spent about a half a million on a fence around the orchard to keep the deer from killing the trees. The deer are doing well with all the crops and cultivated lawns and scrubs. I spend a good bit of my time shooting crop damage deer as do a lot of other folks.

Back to the rifle.

I have loads now with Reloder 7 and the Barnes .377 255gr. The max listed for the 38-55 is 27 grains of Re-7 (advertised as 1700+-fps). I've shot a few of the 27 grain and mic'd the bases then went to 28,29 and 30 without any increase in base size. I see one fella using 32gr of Re-7 and the 255. I have no giant interest in taking things to the extreme but I'd like to get 1900 to 2000fps or so and use this rifle for deer, bear and maybe an elk. It's just a diversion for me and next year I'll have a different rifle to use and play with for a year. I'll drag the Oehler out once I'm happy with a load and get the speed, I hate to shoot over a chronograph and chase speed.

The rifle is pretty good, I made a receiver peep sight for it down in my shop and it shoots under 2" or so at 100 yards now. I don't believe I'll shoot much past 150 or 200 yards or so.