selsnslim, Stetson

Thanks for the information once again.

I haven't slugged the bore on this rifle but I suspect it's no different than the other production models and would measure in the .379 area. The Barnes Originals that I have are the .377. I believe there is a fair bit of blow-by and can reconcile the powder charges and speed relationship with this leakage in mind (my theory for what it's worth).

The BC on this bullet is advertised as .290 and with 1850fps and a 100 yard zero predicted is ~4" low at 150yds, ~8" at 175yds and ~1' at 200yds. I'll test these predictions in the field on a dry day. The rifle has receiver sights and I don't shoot from a bench so in my best (most stable form) I'll test the 30gr load for precision. If it's unacceptable or perhaps just for kicks if it is acceptable I'll try the 29gr load. This load shows ~1,950ft/lbs at the muzzle and ~1,150ft/lbs at 200 yards so I'm pleased overall (600ASL, 77degrees). I'll range from 10,000ASL and ~70degrees F. to 600ASL and 20degrees F., these difference still leave me at over 1,000ft/lbs at 200 and very little difference in drop at 200yds (~1.5" range).

I have some other powders I could use but I'm going for simplicity and if this load works I'm about done.

Here's a graphic of where I place the micrometer on the case. The spindle and anvil seem to always touch the pressure ring but just barely. I can visually identify that the they stop on the larger portion of the case witnessed by light passing between the case and the lower portion of the spindle and anvil.

I resized all the cases I fired yesterday but will once again measure some post firing and vary the location/placement of the micrometer. I'll report my findings just to follow up.

[Linked Image]

I don't have much of a firearms related periodicals library (none in fact) so I don't have access to the 22nd edition of Gun Digest at home.

I find this rifle and chambering quite interesting. I've been looking for some lighter rifles to drag along on some of my hunts and have a few others in this lever rifle category. It seems this load will be sufficient for the critters I'm after just now and it's a fun gun to shoot (once I removed the tang sight).

Edit:

I found two stowaway cases while doing my pre-laundry pocket check, these are cases from factory loads. I played around with the micrometer and positioning on the case and it appears that measuring is definately position sensitive and the position is a search and find the largest area near the base but higher than one spindle width above the rim. These two cases measured (touching the rim and then slightly above the rim at largest diameter) #1) .4150 - .4156 and #2) .4158 - .4167. (I believe these may be two differing lots of ammo/brass.)

Last edited by DaveKing; 06/25/06.