Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I just picked up a gently-used Ruger American Predator in 25-06 from a neighbor. He works at Sportsman's Warehouse and said the store got two as a promotional deal with Ruger (another employee snapped up the other one).

What surprised me was that Ruger doesn't list the 25-06 as one of the calibers available for the Predator - maybe this is something that they will soon be announcing?

The other pleasant surprise was when he told me he got 1/2 inch groups with Hornady American Whitetail 117gr ammo!

The 22 inch barrel is heavier than normal, but not an actual "bull" barrel - more like a straight taper designed to add a little extra heft and stiffness. The small amount of extra weight is actually quite comfortable, helping the forend to settle down into my hand very nicely. I wouldn't have any problem carrying this rifle on an all-day hunt.

The stock is obviously cheap (molded-in trigger guard, visible mold lines) and to my mind, quite ugly, but that grotesque forearm actually fits my hand very comfortably. The bedding block is a plus - it holds the receiver well enough that I'm not even considering glass bedding (unlike my Rem 700, in which the receiver actually rattled around inside the stock).

The recoil pad appears to be rubber, not some modern miracle material, but is artfully sculpted to be soft enough to actually absorb recoil - what a change from my older Rugers with rock-hard "recoil" pads!

The trigger has that ridiculous blade thing, but once you get past that, it is quite crisp, with almost no overtravel. Not unlike old 2-stage military triggers with a little takeup, then engagement. A superior trigger compared to my 700 ADL.

Bolt throw is very smooth with a short bolt lift, but a bit rough when engaging / disengaging the locking lugs. The grip is quite open, which is comfortable to my hand. And having the safety right under my thumb is just a delight!

My sole complaint is that the comb is too narrow to be comfortable against my cheek. I read somewhere that Ruger was orginally giving out a free cheekpad designed just for the Ruger American (and have apparently started charging $20 for it) - but if they recognize the problem, why not just fix the stock?

Anyway, the rifle is (mostly) comfortable, very very accurate and wonderfully inexpensive. I can't wait to scope it and shoot it for myself!

Last edited by czech1022; 06/12/15.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool. I didn't know they made them. I had been waiting for Ruger to offer the .25-06 in the American. Last winter I got tired of waiting and bought a Savage 25-06.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 25-06 was a uncatalogued promotional rifle from last year. I still have a few in the back room. We sold several during our Black Friday event last year.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,072 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.