Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Only thing I have to say is that for the folks that want national reciprocity via a Congressional law, they are opening us up to all kinds of federal micro-managements.

This has no chance of going anywhere at the moment. But in a couple years with a different Congress?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...sing-requirement-for-all-handgun-buyers/

On June 11, Democrats introduced a bill to require a license for all would-be handgun purchasers in America.

The Handgun Purchaser Licensing Act of 2015 is sponsored by Reps. Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) (D-Md-8th Dist.) and Rep. Elizabeth Esty (D-CT) (D-CT-5th Dist.) and Sens. Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) and Chris Murphy (D-CT).

It would require all would-be handgun purchasers to pass a background check and acquire a handgun purchaser or owner’s license.

In this way, it would secure the expansion of background checks that have eluded to the Democrats to this point. In the process, it would put in place an approval-for-purchase process akin to the one Carol Bowne was going through when she was stabbed to death while waiting for New Jersey’s permission to have a gun for self-defense.

Nevertheless, Hollen, Esty, Blumenthal, and Murphy are promoting the bill as a “crack down on violence” that will help “states develop and implement licensing programs for the purchase of handguns, a process that keeps guns out of the hands of individuals who would not pass a background check.” In so doing they fail to note that background do not keep guns out of the hands of people with criminal intent.

For example, Elton Simpson and Nadir Soofi (Garland), Jared and Amanda Miller (Las Vegas), Elliot Rodger (Santa Barabara), Ivan Lopez (Fort Hood 2014), Darion Marcus Aguilar (Maryland mall), Karl Halverson Pierson (Arapahoe High School), Paul Ciancia (LAX), Andrew John Engeldinger (Minneapolis), Aaron Alexis (DC Navy Yard), Tennis Melvin Maynard (West Virginia), James Holmes (Aurora theater), Jared Loughner (Tucson), Nidal Hasan (Fort Hood 2009), Jiverly Wong (Binghamton), Seung-Hui Cho (Virginia Tech), Naveed Haq (Seattle), and Mark Barton (Atlanta), all passed background checks to get the guns they used to attack innocents. So there is no reason to think these same people would not have been licensed to own a gun under the Handgun Purchaser Licensing Act.

The bottom line is that the Democrat push for gun control does not change or even impact the behavior of criminals. It simply curtails the freedom of law-abiding citizens to exercise their right to self-defense.

BTW: Nebraska has had this for 24 years now. Our state crime rate hasn't changed compared to the national crime rate, so the concept as I see it is a total bust.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Calhoun
BTW: Nebraska has had this for 24 years now. Our state crime rate hasn't changed compared to the national crime rate, so the concept as I see it is a total bust.

Exactly. Although unsure of the specifics, what about FOID cards in Illinois? Last I heard, Chicago is a good place to get shot............

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Purchase permits for handguns have been on the books here since 1920.

It was a Jim Crow law designed to keep blacks from buying pistols and its still with us.

The only exception is if you have a CCW permit.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have always opposed Federal interference with handgun permits and such. What .gov giveth, it can take away as quickly. Quicker, actually. Hopefully, this turkey of a bill won't have any traction.

Sam......

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If they are going to do it, make it something useful all the way around. Just put it on every individual's driver's license...if they plan on purchasing one or not....that way everyone is treated equally and there is minimal overhead. If they have mental issues where they've spent 3 years in Crazy Sally's Closet for the Mentally Soupy because they keep feeding cats to the lawn mower then they have the marker that says they can't purchase a gun. No more background checks for anyone (aside from the one time when you get your driver's license), get rid of a lot of ATF folks, get rid of overhead for FFL's, etc....you want to buy a gun, just hand them your license. Should work for reciprocity as well. If someone flips out and does something to change their status then when they are taken in, immediately issue them a new driver's license.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Why don't you tell them why Nebraska implemented this in 91?

Look to PRIMACY.

Swifty
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IIRC a few states have this type of licensing already - and it should never have passed even then...

Federal? They can KMA..
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Purchase permits for handguns have been on the books here since 1920.

It was a Jim Crow law designed to keep blacks from buying pistols and its still with us.

The only exception is if you have a CCW permit.
Maybe in your state - I don't know.. But in WI we don't need no stinkin' permit to buy a handgun..

And, in a related issue, Gov Walker is going to sign the bill repealing the 48 waiting period to obtain a handgun.. One can (after it's passed) fill out the form and take the gun with ya..

About TIME..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some good Republicans should introduce a bill to require women who want to have an abortion to get a permit.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Perhaps this post should be linked to some of the political threads here and maybe they'll get a clue that elections have consequences and voting for a fringe candidate may make these kids of oppressive measures possible as a result of their narrow minded obtuseness.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The states can manage this just fine without the Feds help. That goes for just about every damn thing out there we deal with on a daily basis. We don't suffer this nonsense in GA. The goal though should be for every state to follow what Alaska does.

No CCW and carry the damn thing how you want to and pretty much where you want to. This way even the sheep have a watchdog to keep the wolves thinking twice about trying for mutton.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
They're all from CT too. I'm shocked. smirk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4winds
They're all from CT too. I'm shocked. smirk

This is all political grandstanding to attempt to show that they are doing "something meaningful" in the wake of Sandy Hook. Note the other co-sponsor is from Md.

They want something to take back for the next elections. They'll use it to claim "we are attempting to make things safer for our children".

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4winds
The states can manage this just fine without the Feds help.

Personally I don't think even a state permit system to buy a firearm is going to pass Constitutional muster once SAF is ready to take it to court. I think they need a few more precedents before they tackle that one, but with the advent of instantaneous background checks there is no purpose AT ALL served by requiring a state permit to buy from a dealer except for introducing an unnecessary cost and delay.

What states can require for private sales is more ambiguous, but again a state permit for any transfer introduces a delay that I don't think the courts will eventually allow in regards to a Constitutional (and pre-existing) right.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, and all of that ignores the US District Court case in Texas where a judge struck down the federal ban on buying handguns out of state.

If non-residents are legally allowed to buy handguns in the state if they can pass a background check, then state firearm permits are going to be kicked to the side so fast it's not even funny.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/02/11/federal-judge-strikes-down-federal-inter

There are at least a couple years of appeals waiting on that one though.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's called gun purchasing neutrality, if you fine folks are having trouble understanding this give Kevin Gibson a pm and he will explain it's benefits.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.