Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-assassination-author/?intcmp=latestnews

After the 1981 assassination attempt on his life, former President Ronald Reagan reportedly began carrying a gun almost everywhere he went, bestselling thriller author Brad Meltzer told MyFoxNY Monday.

Meltzer, who discovered the reported gun's existence for himself after speaking with a Secret Service employee at the agency’s museum, called it an “incredible revelation.”

Reagan reportedly carried the gun in his briefcase and would even take it on Air Force One, Meltzer said.

“I trust these [Secret Service] people around me, but if someone comes at me again, I want to be prepared,” Reagan reportedly said in explaining the action, according to Meltzer.

Last edited by KFWA; 06/16/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Reagan understood personal responsibility.

μολὼν λαβέ
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
That's news?? IIRC, that was reported many, many years ago..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I guess I never heard it

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I recall reading an interview with a Secret Service agent who was part of the presidential detail during the Reagan years. As the President was preparing to make an appearance, he slipped a pistol into his waistband. The Sercet Service agent asked him why he was packing. Mr. Reagan said something to the effect of, "In case you fellows need some help."

RS

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure how excited I'd be about ol' shakes packin' a pistol if I was on his security detail.

Especially by his second term.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Reagan would have passed Teddy as President Badass #1 if he got into a shootout on the white house lawn with a would be assassin

actually, probably not, Teddy has a resume of badassery

Last edited by KFWA; 06/16/15.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
No reason why he should not have carried

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm not sure how excited I'd be about ol' shakes packin' a pistol if I was on his security detail.

Every individual has the right to exercise their second amendment rights...even the President of the United States.

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Somebody showed the gun yesterday.
An average .38 revolver.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd carry too, if I was president.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by KFWA

Reagan reportedly carried the gun in his briefcase and would even take it on Air Force One, Meltzer said.

I love this kind of stuff....as if the reporter was shocked he'd carry it on a plane...

Its his gun and his plane....( at least temporarily..)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by okie

Except that as President and Commander-in-Chief, his responsibility is to the nation and it would be irresponsible for him to be exposed (while shooting back). The Secret Service (in spite of the recent stupid incidents) is dedicated to protecting the President (a difficult enough job) and it is more difficult to protect a standing, moving person than one who has been pushed into an armored limo.

Of course, I'd probably feel more secure if I was armed too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The reporter also stated it was not clear as to when he started carrying. It became known after the Hinckley shooting. Also, TR always carried as well.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by okie

Except that as President and Commander-in-Chief, his responsibility is to the nation and it would be irresponsible for him to be exposed (while shooting back). The Secret Service (in spite of the recent stupid incidents) is dedicated to protecting the President (a difficult enough job) and it is more difficult to protect a standing, moving person than one who has been pushed into an armored limo.

Of course, I'd probably feel more secure if I was armed too.

You're assuming that his being armed would cause him to not follow protocol.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big deal. I'd carry too if I got shot. Probably a Mossberg pump without a plug.

Putin only thinks he's macho!

[Linked Image]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,262
Posts18,448,206
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.