Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
G46 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
To attach, or not to attach. That is the question. How much does an attached bi-pod really help with in field shooting, or does it usually take more time and effort than it's worth? Does a set of loose shooting sticks serve just as well ?

"Be polite, be professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. James Mathis, USMC
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are set on a stand covering a known area it's good, otherwise it's simply in the way. Carry it detached

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ditto!
G

Originally Posted by Armednfree
If you are set on a stand covering a known area it's good, otherwise it's simply in the way. Carry it detached

"If you don't stand up for what you believe,,you stand for nothing"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Depends on the terrain. In open, fairly flat country, with low grass (which describes a lot of pronghorn and even mule deer country) you're likely to be able to use it, so it's handier to leave it attached.

But except for specific purposes I don't use a bipod much for big game hunting. I'm usually carrying a daypack anyway, for cameras, lunch, extra clothes, etc, so use the pack for a forend rest when shooting prone. And I'm also always carrying a set of light, sitting height sticks for when prone isn't practical due to the height of the grass, or whatever other reason. Have shot lots of animals off both.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In a lot of areas, it's useless. I am with the above, shooting sticks are way more useful.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Antelope hunting I have a set on my 6.5. Can't fit a gun in a scabbard with them. I always carry shooting sticks

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/20/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
IMHO and limited experience, attached bipods make a rifle very off-balance and uncomfortable to carry on ones shoulder.

However, there is no substitution for them when it comes to dead nut stability required for long range shooting. If I was making a short walk to a known spot and planned to sit on the ground and hunt, I would definitely opt for a 13-24" adjustable bipod. In my area, prone shots are almost impossible due to rolling terrain and crops.

That being said, I carry a set of lightweight sticks with me almost every hunt and can confidently kill whitetails from a sitting position out to 400 yards or more. A good back rest such as a tree or fence post greatly improves ones stability when using a set of sticks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The Harris 25s is a great tool for hunting antelope or other open area hunting. Attached to the rifle it is quite useful. It will extend to 25 inches and makes it great for sitting shots above the sage brush. Prone works great as well due to the 3 piece legs that collapse short enough for those shots.

The 25s is a swivel that allows you to level the he rifle in uneven terrain. The 25s is a great tool to assist your steady shooting in open country...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use a high power style shooting sling, lighter, as stable as, and necessary to pack the rifle when dragging/packing an animal out as well as only 1/4 the weight. JB is right about the day pack, used mine in Augusta, MT last month for gophers.-Muddy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I gave a Harris bipod a go for a while, on the range and in the field, and on a couple of different rifles, and found that I was at least as accurate shooting using my daypack or a similar improvised rest (over a log or stump, for example). The bipod just added weight, spoiled the balance, and got in the road, for no gain at all, and I sold it without a moment's regret.

YMMV

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Climbing poles work great for shooting sticks. Put wrist thru loop hold pole and rest rifle on top of wrist. Poles adjust for height also.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by G46
To attach, or not to attach. That is the question. How much does an attached bi-pod really help with in field shooting, or does it usually take more time and effort than it's worth? Does a set of loose shooting sticks serve just as well ?

This is gonna vary,depending on the shooter and conditions. Only way to tell is to shoot both ways and see.I certainly would not want to get in the habit of not being able to function without one.

I don't care for them myself but understand they can be useful sometimes. I also understand they can be a PITA and get in the way for a lot of hunting.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by muddy22
I use a high power style shooting sling, lighter, as stable as......

As stable as a good bipod???

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
General Field use, without a doubt, IF you know how to properly use one. Muddy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love the combination of a lightweight rifle and a bipod. Bought my first Harris when I was about 15 years old.

People say, "oh it ruins the point of a lightweight" but I'd rather have a 7.5-8lb all-up rifle with a bipod over a 7.5-8lb rifle without one.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by muddy22
General Field use, without a doubt, IF you know how to properly use one. Muddy

So a sling is as stable as a bipod? Who knew?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by country_20boy
IMHO and limited experience, attached bipods make a rifle very off-balance and uncomfortable to carry on ones shoulder.

However, there is no substitution for them when it comes to dead nut stability required for long range shooting. If I was making a short walk to a known spot and planned to sit on the ground and hunt, I would definitely opt for a 13-24" adjustable bipod. In my area, prone shots are almost impossible due to rolling terrain and crops.

That being said, I carry a set of lightweight sticks with me almost every hunt and can confidently kill whitetails from a sitting position out to 400 yards or more. A good back rest such as a tree or fence post greatly improves ones stability when using a set of sticks.

Cmon country_boy20 everybody knows that Mississippi folks don't need to shoot anything at 400 yards unless it's out the window of a truck.

I tote the 13-24 on my rifle on my guns unless I'm on a hill overlooking my fields.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used Harris off and on for years. For me, the attached bipod is much more stable than using the bungy/tent pole type sticks for sitting shots, but I prefer laying over a back pack for prone shots. The other beefier telescoping shooting sticks are about as stable but unless you are carrying them not as fast to set up. As noted, the attached bi-pod does add weight to the gun. I would say it depends on what you find less annoying the added weight of the gun or transporting the other types of sticks. I use the telescoping leg models a lot these days because I normally hunt with my son and can extend all the way up to his standing height if needed.

Lou

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not a fan for my own use but they really help newer hunters stay steady on target. My son in law has used them for 20+ years and is smooth quick and accurate. I've always felt slow and awkward with them attached to my rifle. The coolest thing about them to me is the built in rest off the ground when you aren't holding the rifle.

I bought a tall tripod this year "trigger stick" model that i hope can be walking stick and rest in difficult slope / vegetation or very long range conditions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that's a schitty choice for a walking stick....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 15 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.