Hop To
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Well, the month ain't over yet, but....

The Brady Bunch sponsored a lawsuit against the businesses that sold stuff to the Aurora theater shooter. The lawsuit was aimed at generating publicity, and was prohibited under the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

The judge was highly displeased.

He has just awarded the defendants $200,000 in legal fees, out of the pockets of the plaintiffs the Brady Bunch recruited.

The judge was unsympathetic to the plea that the Brady Bunch ought to pay instead of the plaintiffs. Basically, he said that if the Brady Bunch can afford to sponsor the litigation, they can choose to reimburse the people they recruited.

This qualifies as a bench slap:

It is apparent that this case was filed to pursue the political purposes of the Brady Center and, given the failure to present any cognizable legal claim, bringing these defendants into the Colorado court where the prosecution of James Holmes was proceeding appears to be more of an opportunity to propagandize the public and stigmatize the defendants than to obtain a court order which counsel should have known would be outside the authority of this court.

I think the next plaintiffs that the Brady Bunch recruits are going to be a lot harder to convince that they should put their names and faces on a frivolous suit.

More info:
Of Arms and the Law

judge's order

Last edited by denton; 06/19/15.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I love it! grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HOLY SCHIT!

That constitutes HUGE, alright!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wow, that is something else.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That ain't a bench slap, dats a bich slap!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Now if some judge would bitch slap the tree hugging wolf lovers that way I could celebrate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is apparent that this case was filed to pursue the political purposes of the Brady Center and, given the failure to present any cognizable legal claim, bringing these defendants into the Colorado court where the prosecution of James Holmes was proceeding appears to be more of an opportunity to propagandize the public and stigmatize the defendants than to obtain a court order which counsel should have known would be outside the authority of this court.

I'll bet that judge is sick of obama also.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by watch4bear

I'll bet that judge is sick of obama also.

A judge who followed the Law.

Don't worry, he will be over ruled by Roberts.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 12344mag
That ain't a bench slap, dats a bich slap!

Beat me to it. I hope it was a hard enough slap that Obama's momma felt it!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
That is the way it should always be.

If you sew and loose you pay.

It would sure cut down on frivolous lawsuits.

The Judge actually did something right and fined the right people and went with the gun people WOW who woulda thought.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by denton
Well

Quote of the day, week, month, year, right there.
Thank you, Sir.
I sure love your posts.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think the next plaintiffs that the Brady Bunch recruits are going to be a lot harder to convince that they should put their names and faces on a frivolous suit.

I think you're on to something there.

Thanks, Denton for putting this up, my evening just got a little brighter here.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If more judges would do this it would sure cut down on frivolous lawsuits, not just in firearms related lawsuits but in all of the ambulance chasing that goes on. 95% of them get thrown out at first glance but the damage is already done because the defendant had to hire a lawyer and invest lots of time to rebut the lawsuit. If the plaintiff filing the lawsuit had to pay the defendant's legal fees if they lost then it would go a long ways toward controlling insurance and medical costs.

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
This just gets better and better. Lucky Gunner has announced that it will donate its share of the award to the 2A organization that its customers choose. You can vote here.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by denton
Well, the month ain't over yet, but....

The Brady Bunch sponsored a lawsuit against the businesses that sold stuff to the Aurora theater shooter. The lawsuit was aimed at generating publicity, and was prohibited under the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

The judge was highly displeased.

He has just awarded the defendants $200,000 in legal fees, out of the pockets of the plaintiffs the Brady Bunch recruited.

The judge was unsympathetic to the plea that the Brady Bunch ought to pay instead of the plaintiffs. Basically, he said that if the Brady Bunch can afford to sponsor the litigation, they can choose to reimburse the people they recruited.

More info:
Of Arms and the Law

judge's order

I'm betting the judge has a Ducks Unlimited sticker on his back window.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice morning newsflash!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
One of the major failings of our tort system is that such judgments are not automatic. It's up to the discretion of the judge, and I believe the jursidiction's rules, which in my view is inadequate deterrence to frivolous lawsuits.

In the British (and Canadian) legal system, ANY defendant in ANY lawsuit can at the time of judgment petition the court for the plaintiff to pay costs, and it is routinely petitioned and routinely ordered. By costs, that means not just the legal costs of the defendant, but all court costs as well.

At present, American ambulance-chasers are able to bottom-feed without any real penalty for their borderline unethical actions. They have the prospect of a windfall share of any award, and no penalty if the suit fails. This changes in a big damn hurry when the plaintiff faces the prospect of being bankrupted for bringing the lawsuit to begin with.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.