-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I had not read the thread so I missed what you were referring to exactly. Sorry about that.

But in Unrepentant Sinner I thought he made it REALLY clear that he had no liking for JO at all.

Travis

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Askins was pissed that his old man got the can, and wasn't replaced by Elmer Keith (who was a personal friend of their's). He blamed O'Connor and held that grudge till the day he died.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
I had not read the thread so I missed what you were referring to exactly. Sorry about that.

But in Unrepentant Sinner I thought he made it REALLY clear that he had no liking for JO at all.

Travis

I have the book and Askins does make it clear that he did not like JO, but he didn't say exactly why, other than JO took Maj. Askins place at Outdoor Life. If it was Outdoor Life's decision, and they thought J. O'C could do a better job, then I don't see why the Col. should have held it against Jack.

But, if as reported on these threads, Jack did tell Outdoor Life that Keith and the Col. were writing Maj. Askins articles, them yes, I could understand why Col. Askin would hold a grudge.

I don't know that it happened that way, or that it didn't. I am going by information posted on these threads. I don't have first hand information, or facts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Elmer told me that he'd written several of Major A's articles, which Mrs A read to him for his approval and modification when the old man was incapacitated, but he never said anything to me about how OL, JO'C, and Charlie may have been involved in that arrangement.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1234567
If it was Outdoor Life's decision, and they thought J. O'C could do a better job, then I don't see why the Col. should have held it against Jack.

JMHO, but Askins never struck me as a particularly rational person.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great read...

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Bump

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Notice that Howell never acknowledged the granddaughter's comments.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Dave
That's what impressed me about Thangle-finally someone that shut him up!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Dave

I did, true Ken. Check out his first post (about the 3rd or 4th post in the thread). He mentioned that 'Hell, just got fuller' about Askin's death.

You can say what you wish about Ken, but that was some SERIOUS foreshadowing....

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by jwp475
� What gives you the idea that he killed babies???

Charlie's favorite PH in Africa was also at times a mercenary. Charlie liked the occasional opportunity to quit hunting four-legged critters with him, to go hunting two-legged critters (ivory-poachers, rebels, etc) instead.

Once, they wiped-out a party of poachers, and it was alleged that they found a live baby among the men's and women's bodies and killed it rather than take it back to a village.

True?

Untrue?

I have no reason to believe or to doubt the allegation. But the story has made the rounds, and some have eagerly welcomed it as another insight into Charlie.

I wonder who the PH was he is referring to. I know he hunted with the guy I hunt with, John Sharp, and he was a Bush War vet.. I'm betting they were good kills...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Charlie's favorite PH in Africa was also at times a mercenary. Charlie liked the occasional opportunity to quit hunting four-legged critters with him, to go hunting two-legged critters (ivory-poachers, rebels, etc) instead.

Once, they wiped-out a party of poachers, and it was alleged that they found a live baby among the men's and women's bodies and killed it rather than take it back to a village.

True?

Untrue?

I have no reason to believe or to doubt the allegation. But the story has made the rounds, and some have eagerly welcomed it as another insight into Charlie.

I wonder who the PH was he is referring to. I know he hunted with the guy I hunt with, John Sharp, and he was a Bush War vet.. I'm betting they were good kills...

You could ask him

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

True?

Untrue?

Do you have a link to that thread? I thought that Ken's unfounded acusations were uncalled for, especially when he claimed to like Askins, which in my opinion wasn't true. If Ken had trueluy liked Askins, he would not have bad mouthed him as he did. Nothing that Howell claimed was backed by a single fact.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

True?

Untrue?

Do you have a link to that thread? I thought that Ken's unfounded acusations were uncalled for, especially when he claimed to like Askins, which in my opinion wasn't true. If Ken had trueluy liked Askins, he would not have bad mouthed him as he did. Nothing that Howell claimed was backed by a single fact.

You're ON that thread

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I searched and came up empty I'll try again. Do you remembered the year?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

THIS IS THAT THREAD.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

THIS IS THAT THREAD.

The quote that Jorge put up was from an older thread where Ken howellderided Askins is what I am searching for.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

THIS IS THAT THREAD.

The quote that Jorge put up was from an older thread where Ken howellderided Askins is what I am searching for.

HOLY F*ING CHRIST. THIS IS THAT THREAD. Go to page one, you see it started a LONG time ago.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Surprise to see this updated.

Molon Labe
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Daum

Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.