24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi all. Heading to southern BC for a couple of weeks and bringing the sit on top 2 person kayak to do some fishing. My son and I are looking to fish for largemouth and smallmouth bass in some of the lakes around there. Neither of us have fished for them before as they aren't around our area.

I have a lot of tackle geared towards pike and walleye, as well as perch and some trout. Mostly spoons, cranks (rapala and storm primarily), jigs, and a couple surface poppers. Swim baits as well but they are likely too big (4-6"). I bought some KVD Okeechobee soft baits to do some Texas rigging also. Space will be limited on the trip and in the kayak, so what should I pack?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
these

https://www.gitzitinc.com/main/en/joomshopping/product/view/8/44.html

green, crawdad color 3/8 oz

some senkos rigged carolina and whacky style or drop shot. sm's are not picky
some rapalas. floating, sinking in perch, gold. try twitching floating for top water along shorelines, structure

crankbaits - fire tiger, crawdad colors

fish submerged structure later in summer, look for submerged rocks, points etc. hot this summer look to 15 to 30 ft deep

pulling a 3/4 oz bottom walker behind kayak with a nightcrawler works good mid day

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Can't go wrong with crawdad colored crankbaits. I would also take some type of spinner baits. Good luck!

Last edited by boltgunjim; 07/02/15.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
6" purple and black rubber worms. Rig Texas style and throw up around brushpiles and weed beds. Fish it with a slow lift of the rod tip, lower crank up the slack and repeat. Bass will pick it up and slowly take off, give them a little bit to get it into their mouth and lay the steel to them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never fished there but I'd think what you've got and everything mentioned will work for bass at one time or another.

If I had to catch a bass I'd use a Senko but make sure to give the surface plugs a try. IMO seeing a bass bust a surface plug is the best part of bass fishing.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
With the weather we have been having the water will be warm I would not spend too much time on surface lures (especially for smallmouths) and would focus on early/late in the day. There are some good fish in that lake, good luck. Any chance you have a portable fishfinder? I would use one to find structure/channels and work them pretty thoroughly.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi Pat. I won't have a fishfinder with me, unfortunately. All of mine are permanent in my boat. Is there a depth or structure I should be targeting?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All those baits mentioned would probably serve you well. I have no idea what the bass might be doing in the waters you will be fishing but would mention a bait that nobody has yet... chatterbait. I've been fishing the Z-Man chatterbait a bunch this year and have been tearing them up. Might be worth taking a look at.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My experience (not on that lake) has been with smallmouths and I suspect that they will be in deeper water than largemouths. I like to find sunken islands, sunken ridges or shelves with deeper water close by. A local lake has some shelves adjacent to some pretty deep holes where the shelves are 14-16 feet, I like to anchor and work the edges in the evening during the summer heat. IIRC, you are headed towards Vaseux lake. On that lake I would probably start on the west side(shadows in the evening) where there are some rock bluffs/ridges above the water and start exploring from there.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
frogs work quite well.Toss them on the lillys or on shore by weed bets and bang away.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
4-6" swimbaits are NOT to big.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Snap swivel or tie directly?

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
nice things about smallies is that the techniques and baits crossover nicely for walleyes also, fish for one and you seem to catch both

If I had to narrow it down, based on my experience up north fishing the churchill river.

I would have some crank baits, rapala, original floating in perch and brook trout colors. Berkley Flicker shad in crawdad colors and perch colors.

Mepps spinners in #5 and #4 sizes, rainbow, red/white and black/yellow.

Senko's or Yum dingers in watermelon or green pumpkin, texas rigged weightless and with bullet weights, 1/16, 1/8 oz

Never go fishing for smallies with out Tubes, green pumpkin, watermelon and blue/black.

And last but nost least kalins grubs 4" in Smoke/pepper, Chartreuse pepper, yellow and black. And lots of 1/8 and 1/4 oz plain round jig heads.

be sure to pack some 20 lb flourocarbon leader to tie on if you start having issues with pike bite offs, last time I was up north and didn't have any and resorted to tying on leaders of 40 lb mono, didn't seem to slow the bite any but helped to keep the pike from constantly biting me off.

Last edited by bluedot; 07/05/15.

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pack a couple surface lures in case the smallies are coming up top side. Talk about a fish with an attitude. If they're busting top water poppers or maybe a Devil's Horse (by Smithwick) you're in for some very fun sight fishing.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
For largemouth and smallmouth bass, anywhere,the first thing I pack are jigs.Usually it's all I need.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
For largemouth and smallmouth bass, anywhere,the first thing I pack are jigs.Usually it's all I need.

If you're throwing them in the right place, and the bass happen to want to be there, yes. Only problem with jigs and plastics is they are poor search tools to establish a pattern, because they fish so slowly.

Hank Parker once said, "Bass will always be deep, or shallow, or somewhere in between". Sound obvious but some folks will fish seven different lures in the same strata and wonder why they don't get bit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone remember Slug-Gos?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Yes. Dad and me landed some hogs on the rootbeer colored ones fished Texas rigged.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We ended up catching 5. None of them were very big, but we had fun none the less. I tried using senkos, surface lures, tube jigs, and had nothing happing. My son put on a bass coloured Rattlin' Rap and caught one immediately, so we switched to those and the seemed to do the trick. One largemouth as well, but he jumped at the kayak and threw the hook.

Thanks for the advice all.

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I still have several packs in my tackle box. Texas rig a 5/0 wide gap hook weightless and twitch through, around and over vegetation. Works well...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
333 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,010 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.