C
Tag

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by mathman
3031 may be a good candidate as well. It's bulkier than 4895, and it's good at moderate pressures.

Does it follow the "60% Rule"? I can't find any 4895 but there is a lot of 3031 around here.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't know about the 60% rule. I mentioned 3031 in response to a post about "somewhat reduced" loads. It's supposed to be really good as a 30-30 powder, so it operates well at less than full blast bolt action pressures.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks. I'm just curious since it covers a wide range of bullet weight in some cartridges. If it can also be loaded down for plinking, so much the better.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How far down are you wanting to load? 7x57 right?

Last edited by mathman; 07/14/15.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Right. 2000 fps or less with 110-120 grain SP or HP.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's really light, far outside my experience, so I can't recommend anything.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mine too. I can get there with 4227 but that limits its use to very light loads. If I can get the 3031 down around that point (or close), I can then increase it for 160 gr. hunting loads. It's just a thought.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Are you tilting at the one powder for all load levels windmill?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Good question. Perhaps. But at this point it is also an issue of current availability.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, is the purpose here to reduce larger cartridge's recoil instead of shooting smaller cartridge at full capacity?

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by leomort
So, is the purpose here to reduce larger cartridge's recoil instead of shooting smaller cartridge at full capacity?

Um, yes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pathfinder, just trying to figure why go to the trouble of reducing loads, when a simpler solution is to shoot a smaller cartridge at full power?

Guess it's six of one, half dozen of the other, type situation.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
leomort:

I can tell you what's behind the interest in my case. It really boils down to three issues:

1. Increased practice/range time. I'm not shooting a hard recoiling rifle, but shooting a lighter load allows me to concentrate on essentials and develop muscle memory with the same rifle I generally hunt with, and in different positions and shooting situations.

2. Sometimes I do a little "varmint control" while sitting in a stand waiting for a porker to arrive and it's easier to use the same gun for both instead of lugging two guns (a .22 and my hunting rifle).

3. It allows my wife and daughter to enjoy my rifles as well as their own (which I'll probably regret someday... whistle).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pathfinder, just trying to figure why go to the trouble of reducing loads, when a simpler solution is to shoot a smaller cartridge at full power?

Did you ever wonder why shooting a couple boxes of 416 Rigby left you a bit forgetful for a few hours afterward? Yeah, those 60% loads can be kind of handy now and again. laugh

BTW, my little 375/350 Rem Mag really loves either 4895 at full power - and isn’t bad to shoot either. Single digit extreme spreads make it seem like a good match for the little case too.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Klikitarik,

It's great hearing from you!

Before I starting hanging out the 'campfire, downloading a larger cartridge made sense to me.

Heck, downloading my 308win to 300savage levels would still be pretty effective

But, I've started to come around to the smaller cartridges. Namely the 223rem. It seems much more useful than larger "big game" rifle, perhaps even my 308win.

Sorta along the mindset that us eastern get about buying an "elk rifle" for when/if we go out west when the majority of us will never hunt anything more than whitetail deer. However, we're much more likely to target shoot at paper, steel, varmints and predators, etc.

So I was thinking that getting a rifle that fits what most do right now and load premium bullets like barnes for that one deer a year hunting. Southern states my have more number of harvest but are the deer usually smaller down there, thus hardly needing a larger cartridge/caliber?

This way the wife and kids get tons of practice during the summer and off season thus get very familiar with a their rifle that doesn't beat them up so they're not afraid to shoot. Plus you don't break the bank shooting the smaller calibers as much.

Just some rambling thoughts, and I maybe way off base here.

In any event, this is an interesting thread.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Small case, one powder, small game & whitetails. Sounds like a job for the Ozark Mountain Special, the .32-20 and 4227!

Oops, wrong thread.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Klikitarik,

It's great hearing from you!

Before I starting hanging out the 'campfire, downloading a larger cartridge made sense to me.

Heck, downloading my 308win to 300savage levels would still be pretty effective

But, I've started to come around to the smaller cartridges. Namely the 223rem. It seems much more useful than larger "big game" rifle, perhaps even my 308win.

Sorta along the mindset that us eastern get about buying an "elk rifle" for when/if we go out west when the majority of us will never hunt anything more than whitetail deer. However, we're much more likely to target shoot at paper, steel, varmints and predators, etc.

So I was thinking that getting a rifle that fits what most do right now and load premium bullets like barnes for that one deer a year hunting. Southern states my have more number of harvest but are the deer usually smaller down there, thus hardly needing a larger cartridge/caliber?

This way the wife and kids get tons of practice during the summer and off season thus get very familiar with a their rifle that doesn't beat them up so they're not afraid to shoot. Plus you don't break the bank shooting the smaller calibers as much.

Just some rambling thoughts, and I maybe way off base here.

In any event, this is an interesting thread.

For a large percentage of my shooting I load my 308's to mimic the old Lake City match ammo. 165/168 at approx. 2550-2600 fps.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P

Guess it's six of one, half dozen of the other, type situation.

Well, I'm not sure how buying another rifle, optics, dies, brass etc is a simpler solution. Nor six of one, half dozen of the other.
I'm doing this for an eleven year old son who will not be eleven forever.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,584
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.