Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, she was dead, just didn't know it...

She sorta squatted and ran, low to the ground, very fast, ran out of gas and crashed.

DF

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I think you are right.....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Outta gas and landed in the cooler.wink

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You got that right...

She spent a couple of days, iced up in my ice chest, riding around in the back of my Z-71.

Just dropped her off at the processors an hour ago. Wife vacuum sealed backstraps and tenderloins. At the processor, I ordered a couple of packs of stew meat, the rest as chili meat. Cubing stew to throw in the chili adds something.

Hog roast on the grill this past weekend was super. We don't usually eat boars, but this one was young and the meat was great. His fate was sealed two weeks ago by the Roberts, 115 NBT to the head at around 80 yds. Ruined his day.

Reminds me of bacon and eggs. The chicken was involved, the pig was committed... shocked

This young hog made a life changing quarter bore commitment.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Cut her with a fork. wink

And yes, the chicks can do several repeats on henberry duty, pigs on bacon, sausage, rib duty, NO! laugh

Trump Won!
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's a slick Roberts Farmer. If a guy twisted my arm and put a gun to my head...I'd have to admit that it's just about perfect for Texas w/115gr BT and Partitions. Killed plenty of deer and hogs here w/it's improved cousin. powdr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love my long-throated .257 Roberts with +P loads and brass.

3609fps with 75g V-MAX and H4895
3233fps with 100g TTSX and H4350
3163fps with 110g AB and H4350
2947fps with 120g A-Frame and H4831SC

Too bad it doesn't shoot well.

[Linked Image]

Don't shoot for groups much anymore but I was dancing bullets just off the edges of clay pigeons with it at 600 yards last weekend.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/02/18.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Old thread, new update.

I finally fitted the Brux 700 .257R in a Hunter's Edge. Got it here unpainted on the Fire store thru Rick, did the glass work, sent it to McM for paint. Notice how I filled in the oversized bolt handle slot, cut it for a custom fit. I also contoured the bottom of the stock so the floor plate and stock are flush. Floowplate fits in a recess, the sides were a bit too high.

I chose Dark Flat Earth with Olive specs. Had seen one here on the Fire and liked it. Got it back today after about a week at McM. I had taped the pad and bedding which, IIRC, saves around $35. They did a great job as always, no charge for the paint, just return postage. I just put it back together, remounted the Conquest 3-9x40.

The Ti take off stock had a straight, high comb and was thick, had to use high LW's; I like low better. To me, the ergonomics of the Hunter's Edge is about ideal.

I had picked up a factory take off plastic injected molded stock, painted it camo with webbing. It's too limber to free float, has to touch the barrel at the tip. Those don't glass bed very well. I found that accuracy wasn't as good as the Ti, glassed and free floated. The Hunter's Edge is pillared, glassed and free floated. Gun should now be as accurate as ever.

Lighting or something in the shop with the iPhone camera caused a brownish tinge at the edges of the photos. Middle parts of each picture best represent the true color. The bottom photo shows the OEM Rem stock, painted and webbed.

My son sold the Ti take off on Ebay and is selling the Rem stock.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn good job DF, that's a clean build and bet it's going to shoot like a house of fire! Congrats Sir.

You going to try my old Buzzsaw load in it?

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Already have, meat in the freezer... wink

That 24" Brux is one fine barrel.

Another killer load, besides your fav 100 gr TTSX over 47 gr. H-100V, is the 115 gr. NBT over a stiff load of H-4350. Not 3,250+ fps, but in the upper 2,900 range and deadly. I can testify that one kills'em just about as dead.

DF

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh, 10-4 on already laying meat in the larder, I just can't keep up with all your cool rifles DF, that 115 NBT will fly better in the wind than the little 100gr TTSX should you need to stretch it a bit.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I finally fitted the Brux 700 .257R in a Hunter's Edge.

Very nice upgrade but now I have to toss that old TI stock and upgrade with an Edge for my 257. I always liked those TI stocks. smile

Those Edges are about $1K landed here in Canada. frown

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Ouch. That’s expensive.

I got a better price buying thru Rick here at the Fire Store. McM prices went up again this year, mine was at the old price.

Not sure what he could do for you guys. May want to ask.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not only the initial price but the exchange from CDN to US $$ and the taxes that's the killer.

Besides ........ I don't need any more projects right now given the current events.

Stay well, Paul

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Very nice rifle. And, you can't go wrong with that chambering.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Very nice rifle. And, you can't go wrong with that chambering.

Yep, for sure.

And, I like it even better than the 257 Wby for what I do. The Wby will reach out better, but I have other rounds for that. Turned my MkV .257 Wby into a Brux barreled 8 twist 7RM, dropped it in a Wby Express McWoody. See below. Loves the heavies.

For WT's and hogs locally, the 257R is hard to beat. IMO, performes way above it's weight class...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Old thread, new update.

I finally fitted the Brux 700 .257R in a Hunter's Edge. Got it here unpainted on the Fire store thru Rick, did the glass work, sent it to McM for paint. Notice how I filled in the oversized bolt handle slot, cut it for a custom fit. I also contoured the bottom of the stock so the floor plate and stock are flush. Floowplate fits in a recess, the sides were a bit too high.

I chose Dark Flat Earth with Olive specs. Had seen one here on the Fire and liked it. Got it back today after about a week at McM. I had taped the pad and bedding which, IIRC, saves around $35. They did a great job as always, no charge for the paint, just return postage. I just put it back together, remounted the Conquest 3-9x40.

The Ti take off stock had a straight, high comb and was thick, had to use high LW's; I like low better. To me, the ergonomics of the Hunter's Edge is about ideal.

I had picked up a factory take off plastic injected molded stock, painted it camo with webbing. It's too limber to free float, has to touch the barrel at the tip. Those don't glass bed very well. I found that accuracy wasn't as good as the Ti, glassed and free floated. The Hunter's Edge is pillared, glassed and free floated. Gun should now be as accurate as ever.

Lighting or something in the shop with the iPhone camera caused a brownish tinge at the edges of the photos. Middle parts of each picture best represent the true color. The bottom photo shows the OEM Rem stock, painted and webbed.

DF

I bought this OEM Rem Tupperware take off on line for $55, painted it and my son just sold it on EBay for $96. I was amazed that the paint job added that much value.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Old thread, new update.

DF

The Hunters Edge is perhaps my favorite McMillian and this stock certainly compliments your 257. It was a nice looking rifle before in the Ti stock, but I think it looks even better in the new stock. And I do like the Ti stocks also.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Mike.

I liked the Ti stock except for the high, thick comb. I had to go with high rings.

Hunters Edge ergonomics, about perfect for me and I can use low rings.

You know a lot about this rifle. Ha!

It’s one of my favorites and I have some good ones. That Brux barrel does shoot some really good groups and cleans up very easily.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks, Mike.

I liked the Ti stock except for the high, thick comb. I had to go with high rings.

Hunters Edge ergonomics, about perfect for me and I can use low rings.

You know a lot about this rifle. Ha!

It’s one of my favorites and I have some good ones. That Brux barrel does shoot some really good groups and cleans up very easily.

DF

Yes, it is a good one!!

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,613
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.