Print Thread
Hop To
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So I may be late to the party on this, but I just saw this rifle. Some factory manufactures offer a precision versions of their bolt guns. But how many build theirs on their "Budget Actions". For those that don't know, the Ruger Precision is based on the Ruger American Rifle.

I've shot a few RAR's (I don't own one) and some other entry level rifles, but this rifle comes with an AR style frame. The Multi-Magazine Interface is pretty cool. A 5R barrel and 20 MOA base.

Again the thing that catches me off-guard is this is a manufacture building this on there "budget" action. Of course the higher end goodies come at a higher price ($1,100 est).

Now if I can just find an AR style fame for an Axis? lol

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The gun caught my eye, too, and I quickly caught on to the fact that it was using the RAR action. Thought that was kinda bizarre, for the price.

Last edited by turkish; 07/27/15.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My guess is it would be a good time to buy Ruger stock. That gun will be sold out for a long, long time.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by HaYen
But how many build theirs on their "Budget Actions".

Again the thing that catches me off-guard is this is a manufacture building this on there "budget" action. Of course the higher end goodies come at a higher price ($1,000)

Totally agree, and the exact thing I said on another board. All the fan-boy, mall ninjas immediately began the flaming.

Unfortunately, I also agree that they will sell a [bleep]-load of them.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Looking at this one on the net last night. That is sweet. Ruger is good about knowing what people want and giving it to them. They will have a hard time keeping up production on this one.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Nothing against the RAR Percision, but I think I found my next build, just because.

https://mdttac.com/lss-chassis-system.html

I like the snow color paint job.

The goal is to come in under $1,100.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure of your budget action hang-up. Many here line up for a Sako budget action (spelled Tikka) 😜😘

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nothing against the RAR Percision, but I think I found my next build, just because.

https://mdttac.com/lss-chassis-system.html

I like the snow color paint job.

The goal is to come in under $1,100.

Either you have very poor reading comprehension, or you just decided to NOT read. The end result is the same.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
They make that stock for a model seven. That is the first time I have seen a DBM set up for one. Kinda cool, even though I wont be buying one.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
So I may be late to the party on this, but I just saw this rifle. Some factory manufactures offer a precision versions of their bolt guns. But how many build theirs on their "Budget Actions". For those that don't know, the Ruger Precision is based on the Ruger American Rifle.

I've shot a few RAR's (I don't own one) and some other entry level rifles, but this rifle comes with an AR style frame. The Multi-Magazine Interface is pretty cool. A 5R barrel and 20 MOA base.

Again the thing that catches me off-guard is this is a manufacture building this on there "budget" action. Of course the higher end goodies come at a higher price ($1,100 est).

Now if I can just find an AR style fame for an Axis? lol

HaYen

They're selling for around $900 according to those finding them already. As far as "budget actions," the Remington model 700 is THE original "budget action." Same with push feed Winchesters and more than a few rifles have been built around them.

Not to mention the likes of Savage don't make anything but budget actions. Same for Tikka.

Remington's MSRP for a chassis rifle is close to $3K and if you built one yourself you'd probably go right at or over that same amount.

Some good info/results showing on the last few pages here. I think Ruger has (another) winner.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10158260/1/Ruger's_New_Offering

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
When Ruger designed the "budget" RAR, their engineers sat around and brainstormed about which accuracy features they'd like to include (such as the 3-lug bolt, and steel bedding blocks), then figured out ways to produce the rifle on new, efficient machinery to make it affordable. Empirical evidence suggests they succeeded, but apparently there are still shooters convinced that no rifle that doesn't cost a lot will shoot accurately.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just read the review in The American Rifleman, the Ruger Precision Rifle appears to be a winner. That budget action will outshoot most any other factory number, and a good deal of "custom" actions to boot. I'm trying to justify buying one with safes full of rifles built on the Savage Precision Target Actions, and a few on the Remington 700 or 40X. Those builds, even some weird straight pull bolt actions I built on AR-15 platforms, can outshoot the Ruger mentioned in the review, dropping groups to between .2" and .5" for ten shots, but for a minimum of $3,000 each. Just the barrels on mine ran $550 to $700 each.

So if a guy wants a solid rifle to plink at the moon, I'd say Ruger filled the bill.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 07/27/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does the LSS use PMags?

I don't see where they do.

The Ruger does.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe
My guess is it would be a good time to buy Ruger stock. That gun will be sold out for a long, long time.

I've been watching the auctions on gunbroker for these. When they first showed up starting bids were running $879.99 or so with bidding prices running upwards of $1,200 and some up over $1,400. Now some dealers are starting them at a penny - $.01 - with bids quickly topping $1,000 on up to $1,250 or more.

That is what the economists call "demand". wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Darkker

Totally agree, and the exact thing I said on another board. All the fan-boy, mall ninjas immediately began the flaming.

Unfortunately, I also agree that they will sell a [bleep]-load of them.

What is unfortunate about it if Ruger has a winner?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
6.5 Creedmoor would be nice

Tater
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Laughing! Kenny Jarrett builds a three lug action for better and more consistent accuracy. They are pricey and difficult to get so are desirable. GAP has a three lug for $4-5000, it is great. So also BAT.

Ruger engineers a three lug and figures out how to make it precisely and efficiently meaning for low cost. It too is able to produce great accuracy. But it is no good cause it is cheap and available.

I think in years to come it will be the go to action for modern customs.

Last edited by RinB; 07/28/15.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I cannot wait to get one of those! That is a game changer I believe.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
When Ruger designed the "budget" RAR, their engineers sat around and brainstormed about which accuracy features they'd like to include (such as the 3-lug bolt, and steel bedding blocks), then figured out ways to produce the rifle on new, efficient machinery to make it affordable. Empirical evidence suggests they succeeded, but apparently there are still shooters convinced that no rifle that doesn't cost a lot will shoot accurately.

Thank you John!!! Perfect answer

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 21 invisible), 1,827 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.