Thanks Travis and Ingwe.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jeffbird
[quote=Formidilosus]

While many here likely will chime in with differing experiences, the 175 SMK has produced more consistent results for me than any other bullet and worked fine on animals out to 450 yards with one shot DRT's. In examining lots of wounds from them through the years, they seem prone to tumble through producing some dramatic wound channels.

Saw the same load hit a 100# doe broadside and TRASH one lung (nearside). The 175 blew up, and must not have taken out the far side lung. It was a perfect high-shoulder shot, the same type that produce piledriver DRT stops with Bergers. A 175 SMK ain't a Berger. Found her, still alive, over an hour later, and finished her with a 9mm.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Word.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
A
Originally Posted by jeffbird

While many here likely will chime in with differing experiences, the 175 SMK has produced more consistent results for me than any other bullet and worked fine on animals out to 450 yards with one shot DRT's. In examining lots of wounds from them through the years, they seem prone to tumble through producing some dramatic wound channels. They always produce through and through wounds on deer, and I've yet to ever recover one from a deer. On pigs, shot in the skull, they penetrate into the brain and produce DRT results, but usually fragment and do not exit.

Thanks for the reply and you as well JG.

Have killed a lot with SMK's and they work as well. They work exactly as you believe- they penetrate a few inches then tumble, usually fragmenting very well and leaving baseball to softball exits. Sometimes they do expand as one would think, and occasionally they fail to fragment when they tumble, but the bullet still does good damage. It's all based upon the diameter of the hole in the nose. Older ones had a slighter bigger opening and were more consistent, newer ones have a smaller opening, very often with bits of copper plugging the hole, and some of the newest ones are pointed with virtually no hole. The smaller the hole gets the more inconsistencies you see.

Generally they still kill well and I would have no issues going back to them across the board.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm going to put my friend with the recoil shy son on the trail of the 62 grain Fusion load.

He'll be good to go. The Fusions are cheap, accurate and work nicely on hogs. No idea about their fuggin' KO factor though.... cool

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey Ingwe (and anyone else who's used them on game) how did you like the 55 Hornady SP? I tried them the other day and they shot great in a 1-12, so I started wondering how they'd hold up on a deer or hog at .223 speeds.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Let me see if I got the last 4 pages of this thread accurate.

The only way to get my kid an appropriate rifle to hunt with is if I drink the same kind of beer Deflave drinks?

Who the hell is Taylor?

My kid just want to shoot and eat game she doesn't care how dead they are.

My daughter who will be 9 in September wants to load the 55 gr TTSX propelled with Hodgdons Benchmark because it has pretty purple coloring however also wants to give H4895 a go because it comes in a bottle with green colors and green is her favorite.

For practice we'll load some 55 gr V-maxs with a reduced load of H4895 and see if we can't get this Tikka T3 Superlite broke in.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 07/27/15.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Shodd

My daughter who will be 9 in September wants to load the 55 gr TTSX propelled with Hodgdons Benchmark because it has pretty purple coloring however also wants to give H4895 a go because it comes in a bottle with green colors and green is her favorite.

A much better way of choosing components that a lot of guys around here at least this makes sense smile I have to also say my wife likes the different colors of various tipped bullets. The truth be known I really like the color of the 277 Ballistic Tips too wink

Gerry.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought my grandson, age 11, a7-08 which I load down for awhile but now he is used to it with factory ammo

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Hornady 60SP and the Nosler 60SB have both worked well for us on whitetails and pronghorn. Both have busted shoulders when necessary on the way in. Both have exited on broadside shots.

All from a 12 twist 223.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here's a Stevens 200 in .223 (1:9") that I cut-down for the kids to shoot. I lopped an inch off the butt, and flip-flop padded it. I picked it up at a pawn shop for $225, and it has a SSS trigger in it. It'll shoot both the 75 Amax and HPBT fine, but I'm at 5000'....

Pictured with a Nikon M-223..... but wears a 3-9 Leupold with Target Turets now. It's a hoot to watch the kids range, dial, and nuke cow pies out to 400 or so (using a BDC turret).... I think it's seriously their favorite thing to do with a rifle.

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
530 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.