Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i would be more concerned with ad-hoc church youth functions than i would with scouting. BSA has had a "2 deep" leadership rule in place for years. there are safeguards in place that work and mandatory training at all levels. and now, if you don't do the training, your troop cannot recharter you. i have never seen any leader in scouts that was ever in a questionable situation with other scouts. my boys went from Tiger through Eagle and are now Assistant Scoutmasters. i was a Den leader, Cubmaster, Camping chairman, new parent coordinator, and am still Assistant Scoutmaster, merit badge counseler on about a dozen badges and Eagle coach. they, and many other young men, got OUT of it, what i put INTO it. i found that scouting was pretty lightweight compared to what me and my boys did on our own, but it taught them structure, discipline, leadership skills, and work/reward relationship. if you are going to be a drop-off parent and expect your troop or pack to run your kids through the program, find something else.

all this BSA bashing is misdirected. it is a fine organization. however, it is not a replacement for family activities or values.

My diploma is a DD214
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
4H

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 4ager
If the Boy Scouts of America are now "out", then what other organizations are there that are good for kids in instilling similar values and experiences to/for kids?

The field is open for a new man to step forward, a man with boldness and vision, who can build a new national organization from the ground up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rem141r
i would be more concerned with ad-hoc church youth functions than i would with scouting. BSA has had a "2 deep" leadership rule in place for years. there are safeguards in place that work and mandatory training at all levels. and now, if you don't do the training, your troop cannot recharter you. i have never seen any leader in scouts that was ever in a questionable situation with other scouts. my boys went from Tiger through Eagle and are now Assistant Scoutmasters. i was a Den leader, Cubmaster, Camping chairman, new parent coordinator, and am still Assistant Scoutmaster, merit badge counseler on about a dozen badges and Eagle coach. they, and many other young men, got OUT of it, what i put INTO it. i found that scouting was pretty lightweight compared to what me and my boys did on our own, but it taught them structure, discipline, leadership skills, and work/reward relationship. if you are going to be a drop-off parent and expect your troop or pack to run your kids through the program, find something else.

all this BSA bashing is misdirected. it is a fine organization. however, it is not a replacement for family activities or values.

Hmmm, why did the do the 2 deep thing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_sex_abuse_cases

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
You're both missing the point. No organization like BSA used to be is a replacement for family or church, but a supplement to them.

Myself and my son participated in Scouts for one year. May as well have been one hour because that's how long it took to figure out I didn't need 'em.

Travis

Same with my GS. He dumped BSA and joined up with the Young Marines. He really likes that.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
all this BSA bashing is misdirected. it is a fine organization. however, it is not a replacement for family activities or values. [/quote]

This ain't a BSA bash thread.
Not for me, anyway.

I'm bashing perverts and their infiltration of normalcy.

And I'm typing one handed cuz the other is covering my bung hole.

Last edited by Archerhunter; 07/29/15.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

Same with my GS. He dumped BSA and joined up with the Young Marines. He really likes that.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/2014/07/14/annapolis-young-marines-child-sex-abuse/12630909/

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
... what other organizations are there that are good for kids in instilling similar values and experiences to/for kids?

Organizations aren't very good at instilling values in this country anymore. As for experiences, the insurance companies are pretty much in charge of those.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seriously, how the hell does one implement perversion into family activities and values?

Read that part again, folks.
Tell me I'm the crazy one...

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sherp

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/2014/07/14/annapolis-young-marines-child-sex-abuse/12630909/

Just goes to show that stuff like this can happen anywhere. Lots of people need killing.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sherp

Just goes to show that stuff like this can happen anywhere. Lots of people need killing.

Whoa there!! If it was a civilian group then that should be the outcome, but that is the Young Marines and any organization connected to MIL/LE should receive much more leeway than civilians. THEY choose how to do things, not you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was a kid, we had the Royal Rangers, a youth ministry with similar activities to the BSA.
They seem to be still around.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
When I was a kid, we had the Royal Rangers, a youth ministry with similar activities to the BSA.
They seem to be still around.

Doubt that will be very popular with Conservatives since the focus is more on winning kids over to Jesus versus the BSA focusing more on making kids cogs in the wheel like Eagle Scouts Micheal Moore and Michael Bloomberg.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ironically on the same day the BSA announces gay leaders are acceptable, there is a multi-victim lawsuit filled in MN against a scout leader who abused boys while out on trips some 30 years ago.
Maybe its just me but this is like allowing the fox to go into the henhouse to check for eggs.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Parents.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rem141r

This is what my experience with Scouting has been, that the boys either learn, or fail to learn, to be responsible for themselves and their own rank advancement. However, since only about 5% of the boys who cross over from Webelos earn their Eagle Scout rank, it seems that most don't find the motivation to do the work required to reach Eagle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not necessarily lack of motivation that keeps kids from advancing to Eagle, most kids are incredibly busy and simply don't have the time. Schools pile on a heavy load of homework and if your kids are involved in sports there just isn't going to be time to attend scout meetings let alone work on merit badges and an Eagle Project.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I spent years figuring out how to do things right, so that when my kids get to the age when they can participate, they'll be able to do so safely and successfully. I can't wait till my girls get to the age when they can hunt/fish/camp with me. It's going to be good. No organizations for me. Some of the most rabid liberals were in charge of the Girl Scouts here and I wouldn't let my daughters be influenced by them for a minute.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 82 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.