Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JayDub Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I’ve finally gotten most of my goodies together to proceed with my rifle build but still have a few items to work out, namely scope mounting. The rifle will be a 280 AI built on a Stiller Predator action and a Brux #3 bbl. I plan on using a Leupold, 1”, 3.5-10X40, VX-3 scope mounted in Talley LW rings/bases.

If anyone has experience with a similar build could you share what Talley set has worked well for you, keeping in mind eye relief, bolt handle clearance and objective lens clearance with the bbl? I’m mainly interested in the height (low, med, high, etc.) of the rings and whether you needed the extended base or not. The actual Talley part no. if possible would also be useful. I’d like to get something ordered very soon!

My objective is to NOT wind up with a shoebox full of scope mounts by tapping into the collective knowledge and experience here on the ‘Fire.

Thanks in advance!
JayDub

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Talley sells rings for the Predators. Alternately 2 Remington 700 front bases would work, but why spend the money for 2 sets when Talley makes them in one. Sorry, I don't know the product number off the top of my head. A call to Talley will solve your query.

Lightweight lows will be a good fit, assuming you have a stock that doesn't have a high comb. You won't need an extended base for a 3.5-10x40 on a long action. The scope has good tube length and eye relief.

I have a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 on a Stiller Predator with a Brux #3. I have Leupold Dual Dovetail lows on the receiver and have no problem with clearance. Mine is a 6BR though, a short action.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks like part 930725.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Indeed, Talley does make bases specifically for the Stiller Predator action. I have a set on a short action Stiller and I think they look great. The low rings will work with the scope you have chosen. The 280 AI is a great choice. If I ever build another 280 AI it will probably be exactly what you just built. You can buy the Talleys right here on the "Fire" in the Outfitter's Gear Shop.

Last edited by Ackleyman; 08/02/15.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First things first, check and then double check to see if you have the 6-48 or 8-40 screws.

First photo is a predator long action, savage varmint contour barrel, Sightron SIII 30mm tube with 42mm bell, on Medium height rings. Fits great for me.

[Linked Image]

Next is a predator short action, remington sendero contour barrel, older model Sightron SII 1" tube with 42mm bell, on Low rings.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

JayDub Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Joel: Thanks! That’s exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. As for the stock question it’s a McMillan Edge in a Rem KS pattern, comb is pretty low but I wasn’t sure if I might need to go with the med height to be safe. Thanks for the part no. also!

Is your 6BR a repeater? Any feeding issues? I have a 600 Mohawk action I’ve been contemplating building into a 6BR but heard the BR can be a finicky feeder.

Ackleyman: Thanks for your comments also! I had shopped Ricks store for the rings but just needed a little “campfire counseling” to narrow down the choices. I actually purchased the McMillan thru Rick a while back.

Tackdriver: Thanks for the heads up on the screw size (I will check!) and the pics… I think either low or med will work OK for what I need, I do prefer a somewhat more upright head position so the mediums might be more to my liking??? I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the Predator action was 6-48 and the Tactical action was 8-40… but again I’ll check.

In regards to Ackleymans comments, While I have several .280’s this will be my first Ackley. A few years back when I was just a pup I had a .280 built, my first and only custom rifle build. Several of my buddies and the Smith tried to convince me to go the Ackley route. Even though I was an “experienced” reloader, I didn’t really know anything about “Wildcats” or anyone that had done an Ackley chamber. I was intimidated by the whole “Wildcat” thing so I stuck with the factory .280 Rem chamber.

I shot that rifle a lot, it was my main hunting rifle but it shot so well that I occasionally used it for my Metallic Sil. Hunter class rifle... but I always kind of wished I’d had gone with the AI chamber. I started to have it reamed for the AI several times but that Smith had become somewhat known in certain circles and I decided to just leave her as built.

Fast forward several decades… a wedding, raising 3 kids, college $$$, (you get the picture) and I’m finally getting ready to build my 2nd custom rifle… this time around I think I can handle the “Wildcat”!!!

Thanks again guys!

I had better go measure some thread pitches and order up some Talley Lightweight scope mounts!

Last edited by JayDub; 08/02/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lows for sure. You're right........the Predators have 6-48 holes and the TAC's have 8-40's. Here's my 22-250 TAC 30 with Lows and a 3-9x36. I could have gone with extra lows, but it fits me fine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cool rifle 257, did you ever make a post about it? I'd like to see/know more about it. Nice one.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the Talley lows. Leupold 4.5-14X40 sitting in these.
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JayDub
Joel: Thanks! That’s exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. As for the stock question it’s a McMillan Edge in a Rem KS pattern, comb is pretty low but I wasn’t sure if I might need to go with the med height to be safe. Thanks for the part no. also!

Is your 6BR a repeater? Any feeding issues? I have a 600 Mohawk action I’ve been contemplating building into a 6BR but heard the BR can be a finicky feeder.

The 6BR is a single shot. No feeding problems!

I think you will be happy with the Predator. The 6BR is a very good shooter. If I said how good it would be internet rumor anyway. Sometimes I think my 30-06 is a good shooter, but the 6BR just effortlessly smokes it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Cool rifle 257, did you ever make a post about it? I'd like to see/know more about it. Nice one.

Naa. It is a Mickey Coleman build with a plain ole' Douglas barrel. I bought it second-hand for a song. The OG had requested a 22-250AI with a longer barrel through a 3rd party (duh!). And it ended up being a 22-250 with a 21" MR contour barrel and I guess he was so pissed that he just wanted to get rid of it. I absolutely love it. One of my favorite rifles....if not THE favorite. It was built with a 1st Gen Ti stock, and I upgraded to the Hunter's Edge that's on it now.

It is a 1-8" twist, and all I shoot in it is 75 AMAX.

I plan on changing out the Swaro for a VX2 3-9x40 CDS scope that's already in the safe. But I can't stand the thought of not having it ready when I drive into the lease just in case.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks 257, I just posted my new 243 AI if you want to take a look.

Take care.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did take a peek. And I like!

You did good.

What was the wait?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 6 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,200
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.