Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Six more shipped Friday. That's a total of 8 so far. We'll send emails on Tuesday notifying the next 6 in line!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looking good. Not a huge deal, but did they ditch the grey webbing? Was thinking they were supposed to be black/grey webbed?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good catch. I don't think it got replaced with a B&C though.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by exbiologist; 08/19/15.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mine's on it's way, I'll weigh it too. Have a short action Winchester synthetic stock that I could probably weigh for comparison too.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mine is on the truck for delivery. I'll try to shoot it this weekend but I have fishing to do!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boyds makes a Barracudda" stock for the rimfires. If they made it for the centerfire, it would drop 10 - 12 oz right there.

Last edited by David_Walter; 08/20/15.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not sure I could live with myself with that stock on this rifle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
1/2 a stock. No thanks here.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I got an email from Eric today. Mine will be shipping soon.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My FFL just called and they have my rifle. I will pick it up tomorrow and will report on fit and finish. I have so many commitments over the next several days that it may be late next week before I can get it set up and shot.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My FFL will take delivery Tue the 25th paperwork and a 10 day wait and then.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Alright fellas. My MRC .260 shipped today and I need to get it ready for my Mountain Goat hunt starting in 2 weeks. I am going to take the leap and try Talley mounts on this rifle. I have never owned Talley's before so a little guidance would be appreciated. I will be putting a Leupold Vx-2 3-9x40 on it.

I believe these are what I want.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Lightweight-Alloy-Scope-Mount/Montana/1-Montana-1999-%28Low%29-%28Silver%29.aspx

Last edited by RatFink; 08/21/15.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by RatFink
Alright fellas. My MRC .260 shipped today and I need to get it ready for my Mountain Goat hunt starting in 2 weeks. I am going to take the leap and try Talley mounts on this rifle. I have never owned Talley's before so a little guidance would be appreciated. I will be putting a Leupold Vx-2 3-9x40 on it.

I believe these are what I want.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Lightweight-Alloy-Scope-Mount/Montana/1-Montana-1999-%28Low%29-%28Silver%29.aspx

Not sure on the stainless / black options but Amazon.com had the Talley Lightweights for these rifles for $39.00 and free shipping. If you are an Amazon Prime member, you get free 2 day shipping. Just a heads up for those looking for rings with their rifles on the way.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
OK, picked my MRC 260 Rem up today from my FFL. I apologize in advance for not posting pictures. I have taken some of the rifle and I have figured out how to download them to my "new" computer, but I have not learned to post pictures to the campfire. I promise I will learn this soon.

First, overall fit and finish appears excellent.

Second, I do not have an accurate weight scale so that said the rifle weighed a little over 7# on my fishing scale (Boga Grip) which has a very course scale and is only fairly accurate. Rifle is heavy enough in the barrel to make me think it will still be slightly barrel heavy with 16 or 18 oz of scope and base on it, from my experience.

Third, fit and finish of the tang to stock is perfect. This is a pet peeve of mine.

Fourth, Barrel flutes are sharp and clean and are "clocked" perfectly at 12:00 and 6:00 with the action.

Fifth, bottom metal fit is also perfect.

Sixth, barrel is floated back to shank. Gap is even on each side of the barrel with one small area exception (a little picky). I was able to slide three thicknesses of paper in the barrel channel with easy but the barrel does not appear to have that much gap, and it certainly not obvious that the barrel is even floated at first look.

Seventh, recoil pad fit is again perfect.

Eighth, trigger pull averages 3 lb. 2 oz. on my gauge.

Ninth, stock color is uniform. I would call it dark olive with black splatter, for lack of a better description.

Tenth, it took 45# and 30# to remove the front and rear action screws respectfully. I am not sure what the torque recommendation is for this rifle. This was measure on a Wheeler wrench which is not the most accurate available.

Eleventh, the recoil lug and all of the barrel shank has bedding compound. The pad at the front action screw has bedding material on approx. 60% of is surface. There is no bedding in the tang area.

Twelve, Is the only negative I have found in my quick look over. The Mag box is binding between the action and the bottom metal. I am going to shoot it before I work on that problem.

Again, I am sorry for not having pictures. This project is going to force me to up my technology knowledge.

Ed

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the heads up Oakster. I just ordered some from Amazon.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I bought a MRC ASR in 7x57 back in the fall. Hav'nt even shot it yet. I'll be interested in hearing how yours shoots.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHunter
OK, picked my MRC 260 Rem up today from my FFL. I apologize in advance for not posting pictures. I have taken some of the rifle and I have figured out how to download them to my "new" computer, but I have not learned to post pictures to the campfire. I promise I will learn this soon.

First, overall fit and finish appears excellent.

Second, I do not have an accurate weight scale so that said the rifle weighed a little over 7# on my fishing scale (Boga Grip) which has a very course scale and is only fairly accurate. Rifle is heavy enough in the barrel to make me think it will still be slightly barrel heavy with 16 or 18 oz of scope and base on it, from my experience.

Third, fit and finish of the tang to stock is perfect. This is a pet peeve of mine.

Fourth, Barrel flutes are sharp and clean and are "clocked" perfectly at 12:00 and 6:00 with the action.

Fifth, bottom metal fit is also perfect.

Sixth, barrel is floated back to shank. Gap is even on each side of the barrel with one small area exception (a little picky). I was able to slide three thicknesses of paper in the barrel channel with easy but the barrel does not appear to have that much gap, and it certainly not obvious that the barrel is even floated at first look.

Seventh, recoil pad fit is again perfect.

Eighth, trigger pull averages 3 lb. 2 oz. on my gauge.

Ninth, stock color is uniform. I would call it dark olive with black splatter, for lack of a better description.

Tenth, it took 45# and 30# to remove the front and rear action screws respectfully. I am not sure what the torque recommendation is for this rifle. This was measure on a Wheeler wrench which is not the most accurate available.

Eleventh, the recoil lug and all of the barrel shank has bedding compound. The pad at the front action screw has bedding material on approx. 60% of is surface. There is no bedding in the tang area.

Twelve, Is the only negative I have found in my quick look over. The Mag box is binding between the action and the bottom metal. I am going to shoot it before I work on that problem.

Again, I am sorry for not having pictures. This project is going to force me to up my technology knowledge.

Ed

Good to know, I could probably wait a few more days for mine to arrive, but I'm curious what the diameter at the muzzle is and if they put on a heavier contour than normal when they fluted it.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
exbiologist,

The muzzle is .608" and it has a shank that is 1.81" long and it tapers fairly quickly for the shank. In looking at it I would say it is a No. 2 Pacnor size. It is smaller than the No. 3 Pacnor I have on a 35 whelen.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gotcha!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Picked mine up today and VaHunter is right, the fit and finish is well above average. Can't wait to get it set up and to the range. Come on cooler weather!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No sign of gray splatter on the stock, but it looks good to me as is.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (338reddog, 19rabbit52, 338Rules, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 21 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,112
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.