Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Has anyone used the slip on pad or ever had one of the custom grind on models for a savage 99? I would like to get one and I was wonder what are some recommendations

http://www.limbsaver.com/product/grind-to-fit-recoil-pad/

Or the slip on one and if so which size?

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is your stock already cut flat for a pad? If not, certainly don't do it!

I use a slip on at the range and nothing when hunting. I think I have a medium sized one. Couldn't find a marking on it.

I've had 2 limbsavers on bolt guns over the years and they both got sticky after a few years which is a real pita! They sent me replacements and they got sticky so I gave up on them.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I also have a slip on I take to the range, but have never cut a buttstock or replaced a metal buttplate. I have had a gunsmith replace a couple of recoil pads with these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/20...holes-polymer-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just need a steady hand.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
...or a 12 " bench mounted disc sander.

I have long arms and find a lot of factory guns (particularly shotguns) to be tad short. My remedy is a couple of those leather recoil pads that slide on with wrap-around tabs anchored with velcro. I like the added length of pull they provide. I also use them on heavy kickers at the bench, but hunt without them.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I also use them on heavy kickers at the bench, but hunt without them.

This is what I do as well with the slip ons.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Caldwell Leadsled or something similar is really handy at the range. It eliminates the need for a stand or sandbags under the forearm, something under the toe of the buttstock, and a recoil pad on the rifle, plus it's adjustable up and down.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is there any truth to the "internet wisdom" that lead sleds can promote cracking of wood stocks? Ie: no "give" when the gun goes off. (Newton's Third Law of Motion: for every action there is an equal but opposite re-action.)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've heard that before also. Basically your shoulder is acting as a recoil pad by providing some give. Using a shooting rest with no give to it makes the stock absorb some of the force.

I can see it.. and with tang cracks so prevalent, one of the reasons I haven't bought a lead sled.

Comparable to the difference of slamming a buttstock into the mud versus slamming it onto concrete.

Last edited by Calhoun; 08/17/15.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Boxerdog,

I probably missed it, but are you investigating a limbsaver to mitigate recoil or for increasing length-of-pull?

Because of a large frame and long arms, my standard practice many years ago was to put a recoil pad on a newly acquired rifle. Suited me just fine, but some (actually most) folks don't like to see the rifle altered for a pad.

I have a couple of Marlins that I shoot and have found that one of these does a fine job. I add a cut to fit hunk of flip flop sole to the inside to give it a bit more LOP.

Just a suggestion:

http://www.levergunleather.com/p_buttstock_covers.htm

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've shot some Weatherby magnums on the lead sled without cracking stocks. The trick is to not put too much weight on the sled so that it still moves a little. I use 25 pounds.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am looking for a pure recoil pad

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ok, I'll bite. What is a "pure" recoil pad?

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Lol just a recoil pad since my girlfriend would like to hunt with it...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I like the Pachmayr "Limbsaver" slip on. I have "ape hanger" arms (my gunsmith's term, not mine) and need more pull on most guns, especially those that kick, to avoid "knuckle nose."

All you need to remember about pullovers is that you need to pull them off and check for moisture buildup every so often, especially right after you've hunted in the rain or snow.

Moisture buildup under the pad will eat the wood stock finish and wreck a metal buttplate. (DON'T ask me how I know that!!!)

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
84 members (308ld, 338reddog, 35, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.