Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OP Offline
O
Just bought 22 hornet and would like to know some good reloads for it -- I have Lil'Gun--H414--H110--Varget--on hand. For bullets I have Hornady 35 gr V-Max (#22252) and 45 Gr. Hornet (#2230). They will be going out of the end of a Ruger 77/22 with a 20" barrel. Would like something fairly fast but with good accuarcy. I have loaded for 220 Swift--22-250 --243--7mm Mag. and pistol rounds.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

The .22 Hornet is often called an inaccurate cartridge. It is - and it isn't. The difference is in how it's loaded.

The hornet has very little case volume, and the case neck brass is so thin that reloaded rounds have little neck tension. The two factors combine to cause great inconsistencies at ignition. First, some primers may be powerful enough to actually unseat the bullet and jam it into the rifling before the powder fully ignites. The resultant "double shuffle" of the bullet first causes the case volume to increase, then stop changing, and then increase again as the bullet finally engraves and moves on down the bore.

All that happens as the powder is lighting, and the abrupt changes in case volume mean that no two charges ever ignite the same, build pressure on the same curve, or burn out at the same time.

Likewise, the bullet never obturates the same, never engages the leade the same and never engraves the same. None of these results are conducive to accuracy or consistent velocity.

So how can it be fixed?

First, a mild primer in this or any other small-capacity case will cause the least disturbance of the rifle, won't dislodge the bullet and has all the ignition energy needed for such small charges of powder. The hornet is also a relatively low pressure round and a thick hard primer cup isn't needed for safe pressure containment.

I recommend and use the Rem 6 1/2 small rifle (very mild), or the CCI 500 or Fed 100 small pistol primer. Avoid Winchester primers, rifle or pistol, any magnum primer and the Rem 7 1/2, all of which are way too hot for the Hornet.

I favor a case full of LilGun as propellent because it is a low-pressure powder in this use. Next best is AA1680, followed in distant third place by W296/H110. LilGun is better with 40 and 45 grain bullets. If you absolutely must try a lighter bullet like the Calhoon 37-gr Double Hollowpoint, then W296/H110 works very well indeed.

Finally, the best results will come if you use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Remember those super-thin case walls? You really must crimp to make sure the bullet doesn't do that double-shuffle, and the Lee FCD can be used even with bullets that don't have a cannelure.

Try all three remedies together (mild primer, LilGununder a 45-gr bullet, AND the Lee FCD) and your Hornet will shoot like a different gun. Honest.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks---I do have CCI 500 primers--can I use CCI 400 small rifle primers?? And I do have Lee dies with the FCD.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hornet undoing,is typically sloppy chamber/headspace.

Punch it K-Hornet and live a little...I've 5 of them,4 in 77/22.

All love 400's,H-110/Win296 and 33/5 gr V-Max via Redding dies,kissing lands. Pards have a bunch more,that respond likewise.

They're driving 77/22's as well....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have one Hornet, a Ruger Number 1.
Best powder for accuracy, in that rifle, is H-110. Lil-Gun is second.
Federal Small Pistol Match Primers, and Calhoun 35's, followed by crimping with the Lee crimp die.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Lil Gun and 40 grain Hornady's is what all of mine like.

Just don't try to squeeze 3000 fps out of that little case.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm firmly of the Anti-Crimp Fraternity and think a shoulder datum is a nice place from which to establish headspace.

Increased capacity and brass life,are notions that I'm partial to as well.

Combine same in the 77/22 and one eeks a splendidly capable device,that much resembles fun........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
OP Offline
O
I realize the Hornet isn't a speedster---that't what I have my Swift and 22-250 for----I got it for those rabbits that are just a bit too far for the 22 LR in my garden and not notifying the neighborhood of when I pop a cap. I had thought about getting a 17HMR but then I wouldn't have an excuse for more reloading "tools"!!! I do appreciate the info on the primers and powder.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I got the best results with ww296 and winchester & federal srp on the two bullets you referenced. The 35g was a tacker out of the cz and the 45g was very respectable at a 100 yds and the 45g was very respectable at 200 yds (didn't try 35g).The remington 45g hp was very good with same load as 45g hornady .I was fire forming for K hornet which perfers Lilgun and 40g vmax. I have found the hornet to be anything but inaccurate even with factory loads so far .
Good luck
Frank

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oneson: No, the CCI small rifle primers are too intense, stick with the pistol ones or the Rem 6 1/2 small rifle.

BigStick: I was also an anti-crimp guy - until I tried it in the Hornet. It works. It works so well that I had to conjure up a reason why, and my piece above about limited case volume/primer violence/neck tension seems to explain it. The Hornet IS a different little beastie, and has to be treated as such. Js try my pet combo once and you'll see. (WW case, Rem 6/12, 13.0 LilGun, 45 Nosler, Lee crimp, OAL to fit)

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have yet to crimp any of my hornet reloads and I can decent groups at respectable distances.

I like the 45 gr Sierra Semi pointed bullets and the 40 gr spitzers.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not being argumentative, friend blammer, but if you haven't tried both ways, how do you know which is better?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pistol primers, 'Lil Gun, and 35-grain bullets have produced success in one Browning single-shot and three Ruger 77/22H rifles. All loaded on a Dillon 550.

Your results will vary.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
true, but if something works why try to "fix it" till it don't?

plus for me, it's just another step where something can go wrong.

Last edited by blammer; 10/14/06.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have Factory 77/22 barrels punched K-Hornet,that'll dip in the .3's. Shot a .141" at 150yds,with one of 'em.

I growed outta crimping,long ago and have much faith in a good chamber and ammo geared towards same....................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Should add...that regardless of the cartridge in question,as applied to a boltgun........................

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What you say is absolute truth, blammer and Stick. No argument.

But for those poor souls who can't seem to get their standard Hornet to shoot, and don't want to try to find K dies or modify a rifle, the recipe I quoted does indeed work wonders.

My rifle is a comparatively uncommon Browning Micro-Medallion. They only made the Hornet in the Medallion grade for two years, so there's some small collector interest in it - but only if I leave it as factory-chambered. It's my favorite rifle, and I hunt with it a lot, but I take VERY good care of it! It shoots into .6" all day, and it doesn't seem capable of missing a fox or a prairie dog, no matter who is shooting it. It's a keeper.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
cool beans!

always nice to see someone else who has figured out the "magic" of thier gun to make it shoot!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

The .22 Hornet is often called an inaccurate cartridge. It is - and it isn't. The difference is in how it's loaded.

The hornet has very little case volume, and the case neck brass is so thin that reloaded rounds have little neck tension. The two factors combine to cause great inconsistencies at ignition. First, some primers may be powerful enough to actually unseat the bullet and jam it into the rifling before the powder fully ignites. The resultant "double shuffle" of the bullet first causes the case volume to increase, then stop changing, and then increase again as the bullet finally engraves and moves on down the bore.

All that happens as the powder is lighting, and the abrupt changes in case volume mean that no two charges ever ignite the same, build pressure on the same curve, or burn out at the same time.

Likewise, the bullet never obturates the same, never engages the leade the same and never engraves the same. None of these results are conducive to accuracy or consistent velocity.

So how can it be fixed?

First, a mild primer in this or any other small-capacity case will cause the least disturbance of the rifle, won't dislodge the bullet and has all the ignition energy needed for such small charges of powder. The hornet is also a relatively low pressure round and a thick hard primer cup isn't needed for safe pressure containment.

I recommend and use the Rem 6 1/2 small rifle (very mild), or the CCI 500 or Fed 100 small pistol primer. Avoid Winchester primers, rifle or pistol, any magnum primer and the Rem 7 1/2, all of which are way too hot for the Hornet.

I favor a case full of LilGun as propellent because it is a low-pressure powder in this use. Next best is AA1680, followed in distant third place by W296/H110. LilGun is better with 40 and 45 grain bullets. If you absolutely must try a lighter bullet like the Calhoon 37-gr Double Hollowpoint, then W296/H110 works very well indeed.

Finally, the best results will come if you use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Remember those super-thin case walls? You really must crimp to make sure the bullet doesn't do that double-shuffle, and the Lee FCD can be used even with bullets that don't have a cannelure.

Try all three remedies together (mild primer, LilGununder a 45-gr bullet, AND the Lee FCD) and your Hornet will shoot like a different gun. Honest.

I was skeptical of RockyRaab's advice above so I had to give it a try for myself:

Friday, November 10, 2006
Well made it to the range today (took a vacation day) and tried some new loads for my Browning Micro Hunter. Slight breeze today, but steady. Results are one five shot group at 108 yds for each load.

Thanks to all who recommended LIL'GUN and the pistol primer preference. I found my 296 load prefers a rifle primer but LIL'GUN likes the pistol primers best.

13.0 LIL'GUN with a Hornady 40 gr Vmax bullet
Rem 7/1/2 Rifle Primer 1.57"
WW Pistol Primer 0.97"
Rem 1 1/2 Pistol Primer 0.80"

11.0 296 with a Hornady 40 gr Vmax bullet
Rem 7 1/2 Rifle Primer 0.85"

The LIL'GUN loads are 2950-3000 fps (primer dependant) and the 296 load is 2800 fps.

Greg

NRA Life Member, 1990
Life Member, NYSRPA
Life Member, Saugerties Fish and Game Club
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My K-Hornet likes Fed match small rifles, 15gr AA1680 and Hornaday 45gr bullets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.