-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually, the Springfield store is no longer the nation's largest Bass Pro Shops store. Here the biggest one, in Memphis:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 09/02/15.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That looks pretty nice. I would like to visit the Memphis store.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
There is a small BPS right in Branson on Lake Taneycome. I mean, right on the banks. If that isn't the best setting for one that I've been to, then it's Independence, Missouri which has a small lake right next to it and is very scenic, although it is building up around it and doesn't look as good as it once did.

The one in Garland, TX is on Lake Ray Hubbard, I thought that was marketing genius.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend of mine bought a Remington 7400 from Bass Pro on an opening day that I swear to u has some of the most beautiful wood I've ever seen on a factory gun. I almost suspect it to be a custom shop gun that somehow got mixed up. It is a sight to be seen. He even bought a set of synthetic stocks for it for when he actually uses it. HAHA

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wow that Memphis store looks to be something!

been to the one in Springfield a few times. pretty impressive, particularly the firearm museum part.

had a cute cousin that worked at Hemingway's for awhile

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
There is a small BPS right in Branson on Lake Taneycome. I mean, right on the banks. If that isn't the best setting for one that I've been to, then it's Independence, Missouri which has a small lake right next to it and is very scenic, although it is building up around it and doesn't look as good as it once did.

The one in Garland, TX is on Lake Ray Hubbard, I thought that was marketing genius.
The Bricktown venue is okay, I guess. The one in Grapevine is almost on the lake. More and more they are going for more "green" settings for their stores. I've been to quite a few. My Dad used to take me out to Ray Hubbard and we'd bank fish. There was nothing out there then. We used to stop at a Mom and Pop grocery store out in the middle of nowhere at Rockwall and get home-made sandwiches and Cheez Whiz and some pop for lunch. Catch Sand Bass off the points. RH is in the city now.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Back in the mid 80's I got into bass fishing in a huge way. Everything revolved around my bass fishing. Living in small town Texas I did my gear "shopping" at the bait shop or from catalogs.

The first time I went through MO. and stopped at the Springfield BPS I thought I had died and gone to heaven. They had lures and reels I had never seen before.

I spent six hours in the place!

My wife and daughter left me there and went and got a motel room. I bought so many lures and rods and reels that I wasn't sure if they'd fit in the car and was wishing I had brought the truck instead.

I almost bought one of those new fangled "fish finders" but controlled myself.

The next morning I surprised my girls by going back to BPS and buying that "fish finder" for my little boat.

Needless to say that my girls were not happy and I was encouraged to take another route when we returned to Texas.

I'd like to think that I have matured a bit since then and don't idolize anything that much anymore, but it was a fun trip. smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I never got the allure of 'stores' for people.

Another part I don't get is the fact they are essentially a bait and tackle shop that opens at 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. on Sunday.
Our "local" shops open at 4 or 5 a.m. for the guys that actually go fishing and catch stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

Another part I don't get is the fact they are essentially a bait and tackle shop that opens at 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. on Sunday.
Our "local" shops open at 4 or 5 a.m. for the guys that actually go fishing and catch stuff.

True. Don't think they'll carry live or dead local bait either.

That said, they're building one now about 10 minutes from here set to open in November. Place looks pretty big.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Live about 45 min from springfeild store , wife used to work there (in office) at that time I got all the range and tunnel time I want ed for free as long as there was not paying folks waiting , which I fully understood. High tourest stop is a double edge sword to me , it makes the store what it is but but if one is in a hurry , the gaking folks sure get in your way.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
lot of show and smokin mirrors but still ain't got $hit for reloading very little powder few bullets not much any one uses

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They had a buttload of powder and all the bullets you wanted in .223, 6mm, 7mm and .308, as well as 9mm and .45.
Plenty of primers behind the counter, and .22 behind the counter.

Nothing in the less popular calibers such as 6.5mm or 8mm, but they are catering to the local reloader, and in that part of the world it does not include those.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If their reloading impressed you , someone should have taken you yo some local good gn\reloading shops

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

If you aren't born automatically with all the hunting and fishing gear you need, you gotta get it someplace. These places are where to get that stuff whilst gazing at trophies and such that most of us will never attain. Awesome animal mounts, aquariums, etc. I'm not a fan of Tracker/Nitro boats, but they are fun to look at too. Basically it is the Christmas edition of the Sears catalog for those of us who were born in the sixties. They don't have the best prices, but are usually competitive. I don't spend all my time in stores, but what's not to like if you've gotta buy something someplace?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
They had a buttload of powder and all the bullets you wanted in .223, 6mm, 7mm and .308, as well as 9mm and .45.

Nothing in the less popular calibers such as 6.5mm or 8mm, but they are catering to the local reloader, and in that part of the world it does not include those.

Cabela's has a great reloading section. Scheel's just went into Kansas City and they have one that may be even better. Both are better than BPS, which isn't bad. When I was growing up in KC, the best place to get sporting goods was probably K Mart. No Walmarts in the whole metro area that I knew of. Now there are two BPS', a Cabela's, Scheels, multiple Dick's (lol), two Academy's, etc. My how the years have flown. Before 2000, it was not far removed from my youth, but now it is overflowing with outdoor goods. Another Cabela's and Gander Mountain in Wichita.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by hatari

Cabela's has a great reloading section. Scheel's just went into Kansas City and they have one that may be even better. Both are better than BPS, which isn't bad. When I was growing up in KC, the best place to get sporting goods was probably K Mart. No Walmarts in the whole metro area that I knew of. Now there are two BPS', a Cabela's, Scheels, multiple Dick's (lol), two Academy's, etc. My how the years have flown. Before 2000, it was not far removed from my youth, but now it is overflowing with outdoor goods. Another Cabela's and Gander Mountain in Wichita.

And Rogers Sporting Goods might be my favorite in Kansas City. Kansas City has become such an outdoor store destination.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone here work or have worked for Bass Pro??
Seeing the new one they're building here is so close, I'm wondering if it's worth looking into a part time gig.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you go, don't forget the Jerky Outlet store across Campbell to the east.

And seriously, if you know what you are wanting to buy from BassPro go to the BP outlet first... they may have what you're wanting marked down.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by bucktales
Anyone here work or have worked for Bass Pro??
Seeing the new one they're building here is so close, I'm wondering if it's worth looking into a part time gig.

i've been working at the spanish fort, al location since construction (summer '08). never seen a paycheck thanks to employee discount and pro-forms.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Was in the Springfield BPS this summer. Hit it every time we go see my folks in Branson. Fun place to visit. Usually find a few things I need. Wish the one in Calgary was a "stand alone" store like that, not a mall anchor. Kind of limits potential expansion.

Also stopped at the Cabelas in Sidney NE on the way home. Not even close in "visual" appeal to BPS. I remember in 1990 my buddy and I did an epic drive, or so it seemed, from Manitoba to Sidney to visit Cabelas. This was of course back when there were only two of them. Was a bit of a let down this trip, seemed kind of generic and sterile. My wife looked at and said: "This is it?" Sums it up right there.

She enjoys BPS and doesn't even hunt or fish.

Last edited by troutfly; 09/03/15. Reason: gr
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,244
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.