Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice going, balltownbob. Way to keep the radar up.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
mtech, noboby's trying to bust your balls. But, you first have to understand that a lotta guys are hunting these rifles and always on the lookout to buy another one. In other words, nobody's going to shoot you a heads up that there's a nice FWT on xyz.com. You need to have your radar up, like balltownbob did on the one he snagged.

Here's another one your work computer can't see, bought her on the Fire. They come up once in a while. The trick is to be ready and jump when the opportunity presents itself.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good luck.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by balltownbob
Nice unmolested early FWs aren't around every corner as we know. While I didn't "need" it I put in a bid and was pleasantly surprised that no one else was chasing it..

mr Balltownbob, Let me know if you dont need it, I have a home for that one! thanks WinPoor

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor

mr Balltownbob, Let me know if you dont need it, I have a home for that one! thanks WinPoor

Will do however I suspect my heirs will be tasked with its disposal. Guns like this one are far safer investments these days, IMO, than most other forms...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'm just wondering it balltownbob sent that guy a tub of vasaline with the check and ffl..... whistle

I've bought several rifles from this seller over the years, mostly Oregon Kimbers, He is selling off his deceased FIL's collection. The starting price on every gun is usually what his FIL paid for it. I was well acquainted with the FIL; he knew what he was buying and he didn't buy junk nor did he overpay.

He had nice stuff..

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
well if you will PM your add, I will send you a few great cigars, I bought 3 boxes for my first grandboy 2+ mos ago, Bauza , Casa Grande, an hour of pure plesure, I shoot tighter groups with one going!!! very best WinBroke

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm just wondering it balltownbob sent that guy a tub of vasaline with the check and ffl..... whistle

Mr Bob has class, he sent KY!!!, Back when I preg checked cows I would buy it in gallon jugs, I worked a cattle auction in Dothan AL every Monday morning, Jeffers Supply had a 5 acre warehouse in Dothan and I bought all my supply's, vaccines ect. there and before I bought a fridge just for cow medicine I used the bottom shelf on the one at the house, I walked in one Monday night with a gallon of KY and a cooler of vaccine, my late wife looked at me like I was crazy and said not no but HELL NO! LMAO, She very rarely used any cuss, four letter words! very sophisticated lady ,I often wonder how she ended up with me! very best WinPoor

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by balltownbob
Guns like this one are far safer investments these days, IMO, than most other forms...

Couldn't agree more.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Im seeing more and more nice ones hit the market! These older guys that had the foresight are leaving the range , many WWII and Korea heros! I got a hot tip on 3 NIB , wife is selling from late husbands collection ! the very best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt
mtech, noboby's trying to bust your balls. But, you first have to understand that a lotta guys are hunting these rifles and always on the lookout to buy another one. In other words, nobody's going to shoot you a heads up that there's a nice FWT on xyz.com. You need to have your radar up, like balltownbob did on the one he snagged.

Here's another one your work computer can't see, bought her on the Fire. They come up once in a while. The trick is to be ready and jump when the opportunity presents itself.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good luck.

Excellent advice and beautiful rifle. Deals do come along, you just need to know where to look. I picked mine up for $800.00 about 3 years ago. I've ran across some for less, but not is as good of shape. Oregon45 here has also ran across some damn good deals and has let some go here for pretty cheap. Just keep an eye out or wear the soles out on your favorite shoes at the gunshows. The small town gunshows around here are favorites of mine.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor

Mr Bob has class, he sent KY!!!, Back when I preg checked cows I would buy it in gallon jugs, I worked a cattle auction in Dothan AL every Monday morning, Jeffers Supply had a 5 acre warehouse in Dothan and I bought all my supply's, vaccines ect. there and before I bought a fridge just for cow medicine I used the bottom shelf on the one at the house, I walked in one Monday night with a gallon of KY and a cooler of vaccine, my late wife looked at me like I was crazy and said not no but HELL NO! LMAO, She very rarely used any cuss, four letter words! very sophisticated lady ,I often wonder how she ended up with me! very best WinPoor

laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtech
I'm looking for a nice decent pre-64 M70 .30-06 fwt. Any leads? I spotted one on GB, but the stock is scuffed quite a bit.

Here you go......

While Winchester trigger is superior to what is in HVA the rest of the gun isn't. The Winchester will set you back at least twice as much and for zero gain.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
That would not be an opinion I share. Husqvarnas fall short on trigger quality, safety design, and stock quality, in my opinion. Great steel and a nice action but they require a bunch of work to bring the balance of the rifle up to the same level.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd also wager that there would be a "gain" in investment value, as the M70 will likely hold it's value and/or appreciate more.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was just told yesterday by a young woman that here light weight husky 270 kicked the living chit out of her. She much prefers her Ruger m77 270 over it. That one will be for sale locally at a very reasonable price. They are not bad rifles by any means, just not what I consider being on the same playing field as a good pre 64 model 70 fwt... YMMV of course..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked over like new 'Crown Grade' .30-06 and except for the trigger design the HVA was superior to my M70 in every way. I didn't buy it because I have lifetime supply of ammo for my Winchester and zero for the HVA. If I didn't already own Winchester and had to choose I would buy the Swedish rifle. What I seen was at least as good as pre-64 Super Grade.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Slavek
I looked over like new 'Crown Grade' .30-06 and except for the trigger design the HVA was superior to my M70 in every way..

maybe your Model 70..

You're wearing your act out on the M70's. Why don't you switch gears and start telling us how schitty Model 12's are or somethin'...

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
...The trick is to be ready and jump when the opportunity presents itself...

Indeed. That's how I found my .30-06 pre-'64 FWT for $700, because someone put a recoil pad (that I wanted) on it.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pal, the recoil pad sure does help if one wants to do a lot of shooting. Especially off the bench. I have 1 question to the OP: Are you looking for a "shooter" or an all original rifle? What percentage condition are you looking for too? Like some have suggested, Gunsinternational is a great place to look. Be ready to pay quite a bit for one though. Every once in a while one slips by, like the one balltownbob bought... He damn near stole that one..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I got that FW by dumb luck. A dealer was the only other interested bidder and he was too cheap to pay a fair price..

I check GI daily and have gotten lucky there but because I'm not constantly scanning it I've missed more than I've bought. The best sellers are listing on GI but there ain't no bargains from them. GB is full of junk and a buyer can get burned very easily if he isn't careful. There is no substitute for having the gun in hand before forking over the cash..gun shows are the best place for that though not as convenient as sitting at the computer.

A 3 day inspection is only as good as the seller's character. Doing business with established sellers is the safest policy but still not 100% foolproof. There's a few bad apples in their ranks..especially on the high dollar stuff...

On another note...there's an 8MM (7.92) Mauser 70 just listed on GI which is a very scarce caliber. Any hard core 70 collector should have a look at it...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.