Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Slavek
I looked over like new 'Crown Grade' .30-06 and except for the trigger design the HVA was superior to my M70 in every way..

maybe your Model 70..

You're wearing your act out on the M70's. Why don't you switch gears and start telling us how schitty Model 12's are or somethin'...

He is a one trick puppy. Don't expect anything more, that's all he has.

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
I looked over like new 'Crown Grade' .30-06 and except for the trigger design the HVA was superior to my M70 in every way..

maybe your Model 70..

You're wearing your act out on the M70's. Why don't you switch gears and start telling us how schitty Model 12's are or somethin'...

He is a one trick puppy. Don't expect anything more, that's all he has.

Model 12s? The three outstanding field guns were: 3" Wildfowl gun, 16 ga and 12ga 'Featherweight'. The only downside is that 3" gun with original choke can't be used Fe, Tn-Fe, HeviShot. Not to worry Academy had sale on Bismuth loads for <$2 per shell. I have not seen prices like that in many years. I hope some of you got some of those shot shells.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One again.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Why settle for Pre-64 .375 H&H Winchester when for not a whole lot you can have this....
From Hanks little Flemish factory....

If ones hands are large enough why not? It will require investment in professionally fitted hearing protection (I think it's called Game Ear?) but that is sound investment. Theoretically super Magnum action is preferred for caliber like this, but then one would not end up with lovely 9.5lb rifle that does not require gun boy to carry. Anyhow a big step up from Winchester Model 70 for sure, yes.
Oops, I forgot when you go to the range you will have the range all to yourself. That is the way I like it.

Yep. That's what I need. A hunting rifle with an AK suppressor pinned on the end of it...

this glossing over the fact that I can't stand ported hunting rifles anyway of any kind. They're great, if you wear makeup.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Why settle for Pre-64 .375 H&H Winchester when for not a whole lot you can have this....
From Hanks little Flemish factory....

If ones hands are large enough why not? It will require investment in professionally fitted hearing protection (I think it's called Game Ear?) but that is sound investment. Theoretically super Magnum action is preferred for caliber like this, but then one would not end up with lovely 9.5lb rifle that does not require gun boy to carry. Anyhow a big step up from Winchester Model 70 for sure, yes.
Oops, I forgot when you go to the range you will have the range all to yourself. That is the way I like it.

Yep. That's what I need. A hunting rifle with an AK suppressor pinned on the end of it...

this glossing over the fact that I can't stand ported hunting rifles anyway of any kind. They're great, if you wear makeup.

That thing is ugly as sin: Looks like a pregnant guppy fish... The only thing real nice on that rifle is the bolt jeweling, but damn for $50.00 I can have my smith do any of my rifles like that...The atrocity on the end of the barrel made me loose my breakfast too.... Slavek, let us know when you find something really nice ok bud... My old model 70 375 has a McMillan on it, as I wanted to use the damn thing and not worry about cracking the original (any more than it already was):

[Linked Image]

Why someone would want a pregnant looking rifle is besides me. This one holds 5 (4 in the mag and 1 in the pipe) cartridges. More than enough to get the job done.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This morning I think I counted 11 pre 64 30/06 FW's on Guns International....before I went beyond 5 pages.

All prices and condition to suit many tastes. Somebody need one? confused smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
This morning I think I counted 11 pre 64 30/06 FW's on Guns International....before I went beyond 5 pages.

All prices and condition to suit many tastes. Somebody need one? confused smile

I saw that too Bob. They made more 30-06's than anything else. I remember when I was searching for just the right 270 fwt and all I ever saw was 30-06's and a few 243's (locally for great deals)....I had to ask my gunsmith friend 3 times over 3 years if he had one to spare. He later sold me the one I have now, but it literally took me 3.5 years to find the right one. 30-06's on the other hand are pretty numerous as compared to the others.... Speaking of that, the truck is loaded and both of my fwt's are in there. I'm goin shootin!!!! See you boys later... laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: 270 FW's have always been harder to find than 30/06's. Yes they made more 30/06's. But O'Connor popularizing the 270 "mountain rifle" had a lot to do with the supply and demand for the 270.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guys really hang on to the ones they have. Generally the 270's get the hell hunted out of them too. Kind of like the 375's. If you find those 2 in excellent condition, you've really hit the jackpot...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BSA you make me feel like a lottery winner smile I found a mint 270 FWT this summer and my 375 is a solid 98% gun.

IC B3

M
mtech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Got a nice 56ish M70 Fwt inbound from Yar! Thanks for suggesting him Winchesterpoor.

Last edited by mtech; 09/14/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mtech, we need pics asap!

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

M
mtech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Unfortunately, my work PC won't display the pics the seller sent me. I had to look them up on a friend's tablet because, I still haven't replaced my home pc, lol! I 'll see about pics later on after I get the rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geez, get it together man...

BSA MAGA
M
mtech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I got tired of wasting money on computers when I can do 99% of what I need to do with a PC on a work one. This gives me more to spend on guns!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good thinking... laugh

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Mtech, There was a guy selling reconditioned computers here on the fire under classifieds that looked like a mighty good price to me, Ive been using best buy in Tallahassee FL for years the geek squad have pulled my nuts out of fire more than once, My problem at the moment is their security system and money to update is going to Russians! That worries me a bit! Kaspersky (sp?) Im thinking about going USA as soon as I can!!! Any of you guys know enough to make a suggestion? Please speak up as I know just enough about computers to get in trouble!!! the Very Best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Winpoor, I am just using a elcheapo lap top from wally world. Been doing so for almost 2 years now. Working great too. Think it cost me $300.00...

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I came across this this evening: http://www.gunsamerica.com/910431391/Winchester-Pre64-70-30-06-Featherweight-NIB.htm
At First Stop in Rapid City. New in box; kind of pricey. They have several Winchesters in and if you call them, they might be able to find something for you. I asked them to find me a used pre-64 once that I could customize and they got one in a a couple of weeks. Exactly what I was looking for and priced very well. Unfortunately, they also had one of the first Belgian Browning Superposed, manufactured in either '31 or '32 if I recall. Since I couldn't afford both and since I was passing through Rapid City on my way to the the pheasant opener in Winner, the Superposed followed me home by way of 3 days of pheasant hunting. It is now my favorite shotgun.

At any rate, they are great guys to work with and they always have a excellent selection of firearms. I try to make it a point to stop and see what they have whenever I get back to Rapid.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I was just in Rapid City on my to Wyoming shoot prairie dogs but have never heard of First stop. IMHO the only thing wrong about NIB un esp a pre 64 or other "collectable" gun is that it' NIB. If you shot it y0u have paid big dollars for NIB and now you have a very nice use gun.

these computers have cost me thousands of dollars over he years even with my very limited abilities....but I have found some pretty nice guns:)

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
726 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,920 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.