-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was just cruising gunbroker and came across a left handed mossberg shotgun. Apparently they just came out with a full line of left handed shotguns! My Remington 870 express is a piece of junk, so I'm looking for a replacement. Unfortunately a Benelli is out of my price range, but at least now Remington has some competition in the sub $1000 range. Anybody mess with one?

I'd post a link but I'm on my phone so it will only show the mobile site, but they have 15 different configurations from waterfowl and slug guns to tactical models. 'Bout damn time!

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Browning BPS is the best pump gun today

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bea175

I'll 2nd that.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Had a BPS , give me an Ithaca 37 any day. The browning is a well made shotgun but my 20 gauge BPS weighed more than my 12 gauge Ithaca and both had 28 in. barrels.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Um, no. I'd rather have the port on the right. If I was wrong-handed, though, I'd be interested in the so-called LH version to speed up operation!

Seriously, I bet some RH folks show up in the games with those LH Mossbergs.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by bea175

I keep wanting to like the BPS, but I've now owned two (a 12ga about 10-years ago and a new 16ga that I picked up this spring) that have both had the exact same problem. Seems they're very sensitive to shells and don't like to cycle the cheaper shells (Remington Game Loads, Herter's Dove & Quail, etc). They'll shoot them just fine,but they jam up and you end up having to slam the butt stock into the ground while pulling back on the slide to get it to eject the spent shell.

If they can't reliably cycle cheaper shells for shooting doves and/or clays they're not worth having IMO.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm a big fan of the BPS as well and have the short-barreled Upland Special in 12 ga. that I use for turkey, goose, and some upland hunting. As a lefty, I love the tang safety and bottom ejection. Never have a problem with cycling any shells.

E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I've never had a problem cycling cheap shells through my 12 gauge. My only issue is the weight.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The BPS has never done it for me. I have always disliked how long of a reach it is for the forend and there isn't anything appealing to me about an 8.5 lb hunting shotgun.

I have been using an 870 Express left handed for duck hunting for a few years, but the thing is a complete and utter piece of junk. It will only reliably cycle Hevi-shot 3" duck loads. 2 3/4" jam up as well as Federal or Winchester 3" don't run for crap. The fricken thing won't extract the shells from the chamber after firing and I have to unlock the bolt and slam the butt of the gun on the ground to get the hull extracted. I have brought it to a gun smith a few times and they can't figure it out. I keep forgetting about shipping it back to Remington until duck season, and I don't have another 3" gun to use in its place while they have it for 2 months. The last 700 I bought was a piece of junk too, but they fixed it when I sent it in for the trigger recall.

I'm done with their junk products, hence why looking at the Mossberg. I have an older 870 LH wingmaster that runs like a top, and is certainly a higher quality gun than most Mossbergs I have seen, but I just want a duck gun that works and don't mind beating up in the boat. Some day I'll be able to buy a Benelli, but that is quite a ways down the road at this point.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Um, no. I'd rather have the port on the right. If I was wrong-handed, though, I'd be interested in the so-called LH version to speed up operation!

Seriously, I bet some RH folks show up in the games with those LH Mossbergs.

Sure the quick loading into the chamber is faster, but after years of eating gas from semi-auto guns, dealing with backwards safeties, stocks that are cast wrong, and getting peppered by unburnt powder, I'm done using non-lefty guns. Thankfully I haven't had any catastrophic failures yet, but it isn't warm-fuzzy inspiring to have the path of least resistance pointing right at my face. A lot of lefties are perfectly happy dealing with right handed guns, but not this one.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have a LH Montefeltro and love it hear mixed reviews on the LH Tri Star don,t think I would rate the Mossberg much better than the Rem you don,t like. Only owned one and I was not impressed.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wish Winchester had made the Model 12, 16 ga and 20 ga in Left Hand

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Glad you're getting what you want. I hope people buy the snot out of them. It's just that in this instance I don't think it's exactly a LH gun.

Anyhow, I really replied to see if Mossberg is now offering shims for cast on and cast off. Seen 'em for drop, but that's it.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Mossbergs are very reliable shotguns and, as a lefty , I love the tang safety. If the gun fits you well and feels good in your hands, I wouldn't hesitate to go with it. I'm sure a quick call to customer support would tell you whether spacers are included or available, if you even need them to change the cast.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,191 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,128
Posts18,464,641
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.