Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Has anyone seen their binoculars. I have been on an optic fact finding binge for some 8x32ish sized and their two series, S5 and S7 look intriguing.
Prices ranging for all models from mid $300 to $500 A good websight presentation. I wrote them asking about some specifics and got a completely personalized response that covered everything I asked. I mentioned that they don't have dimensions and weight on their websght. they thanked me and told me they will be adding.

I was looking at Carson too, as well as Snypex but for some reason the Styrka seem to draw my attention the most.

Anyone see any of these first hand?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Off brand optics can be quite good optically, but not a bargain in the long run regardless of price or country of origin. If you're using binoculars primarily for casual viewing at concerts and sporting events, where the chance of getting home without them is high, it may not make much difference what you buy. However, if you plan on long term daily use and/or in harsh conditions, go with a brand with a proven track record of good customer service. Optical quality doesn't mean anything if the company isn't around if repair is needed. Off brand optics should be considered "disposable". I would not pay $300.00 to $600.00 for "off brand" binoculars, especially since there are so many good "name brand" models at that price point.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hear ya but about over a decade ago I took a chance on a brand called Meopta. Glad I did. Styrka kind of striking me in a similar fashion. I like the customer service commitment.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a brand of Zen-Ray's. Can't imagine a more off beat name than that. They're fantastic binoculars for the money.

I got on Stryka's web page and they have a 1.75-5x32 scope that's a spitting image of my Vortex Diamondback of the same magnification.

Dan

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You need to take a look at the Maven B3.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
IC B2

I
I
I have a pair of Zen-Rays ED2 also. And a pair of Carsons 3D Both 10x42. Hard to beat for the $s. I will say the twist up eye cups are kinda cheap. But Ive also seen that with a lot of so called name brand glass. Been extremely happy with both. And they get some pretty rough use. Had both sets in for eye cup repair on warranty. Service was awesome on both!

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for that. The Carsone were my original choice due to size, weight, ed and dielectric. I wonder things like how much better can one company's dielectric coatings be over others? I had the Pinnacles and after hearing how the silver coatings were 'it" was rather disappointed with them. It is why I am not considering the Snypex although h they use APO lenses and scmidt -pechan prsism. To my limited understanding that relates also to more lenses and without dielectric coatings feel they may not be bright enough for me. FOV kind of small on the Snypex too but size and weight and open bridge style are great. The Cabelas version of the Mojaves look really nice but no ed glass. I I have to use 'something' as a decider. Hoping the more recent improvements will make me hang up my porros- at least for the smaller day time carry ones -8x39 or 32 but for now will keep my Bushnell Legend porro 8x42 clunkers for the real low light stuff.

. Confucius
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Considering Vortex doesn't make anything and just out sources their optics it's quite possible that other off brands look the same. But that doesn't always mean that the glass and features are the same.

My big problem with off brand optics is they advertise a great warranty but the warranty is only as good as the company. If they go out of business there goes your warranty. IMHO there are enough "name brand" optics that there really isn't a need to go with an off brand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reelman
Considering Vortex doesn't make anything and just out sources their optics it's quite possible that other off brands look the same. But that doesn't always mean that the glass and features are the same.

My big problem with off brand optics is they advertise a great warranty but the warranty is only as good as the company. If they go out of business there goes your warranty. IMHO there are enough "name brand" optics that there really isn't a need to go with an off brand.

I agree with you on this point. There are very few actual
mfrs. of optics nowadays. And many like this brand mentioned
are a Chinese clone of some other model. Anything sold
under $500. is now certainly China built. Not a bad thing
just how it is now.

An example is Brunton.
They recently closed shop on optics, and had a large clearance of what was left.
The Lifetime warranty they had, is now void if you have a problem.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kicking this thread back up after years. Some goo dpoints were madea nd came to fruition. I ended up with Zen Ray 8x32 and was super happy with how well they are in low light. Still loving them. My first roof's in years and the ED coatings persuaded me- and did not disappoint. Only downside is a noticeably sweet spot that seemed missing on the porro Legends. My buddy lost his bins so I gave him my Legends. I am hankering for an 8x42- for really no reason as the little 8x32's surpassed what I thought they could do. Looks like ZR is out of business a la reelman forshadowing. . I found one of my original 'likes' and remember speaking to the folks at Styrka who impressed me. By the way I was the one who introduced Tract to this site but they are out of my price range. JGRaider took up that mantle and has been wildly enthusiastic about them. So- the S5 Styrka 8x42 has all the specs I am looking for and O.P. has them for $209. I am seeing same elsewhere for $359. Just wondering what y'all might have been doing the last 4 years optically?

Oh- I also introduced the $160 buy on the illuminated #4 Burris E1 and compared it to my VX3 I thought was the bomb. The Burris is every bit as good and several here followed suit.. Not my first Burris and have yet been disappointed. Real steal that.

. Confucius
IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a pair of Brunton 8x42 binoculars that have served me well and are now the backup to my Leica binoculars. Alpen made some decent binoculars but are now out of business, too. They are my truck binoculars and work very well for the price I paid for them. I have a number of Burris optics and none have disappointed except for a 20x50 compact spotter that is rather useless. I just got mt Burris FourX 1.5-6x scope and it is a fine scope and a screaming deal at $259.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Back in the day did you consider Red Field off brand? I had two Red Fields go bad about 12 years ago that were made in the 90s. They had lifetime warrantys. But they had gone out of business and their warranty wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. So what's to say Leupold or even Night Force couldn't go out of business and your warranty would be garbage.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sightron Blue Sky SIII 8x32, COO Philippines

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Sightron Blue Sky SIII 8x32, COO Philippines

You talking about binos? Aren't those SII, not SIII? Thought all SIII stuff was Japan.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hear a lot of praise for the 8x32 SiII's but don't believe they are dielectric. I needed a reason to try roof's again after the let down of the Pinnacle roofs and the 'wow' of the porro Yosemite.

Filamon- the last older Redfield I ran into was one of the ancient Widefields everyone was so fond of. I could not get my 'non-loony' buddy to stop using it until I gave him weaver K6 and had him do a side by side. He absolutely freaked at the difference. Exactly as I had hoped!

Last edited by kenjs1; 05/10/19.

. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.