Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I'm talking about spent fuel from Nuclear Reactors used for power generation.

What do we do with the waste?

Drop it in the deep ocean? Deep underground depository? Shoot it into orbit?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drop it on Tehran and Pyongyang.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where have you been? We bury it in special crypts out in Utah.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Drop it on Tehran and Pyongyang.
Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
were it not for the political shenanigans, we would have it all in deep underground at Yuca Mountain

Last edited by Mannlicher; 09/14/15.

Sam......

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Funny you should mention political shenanigans Sam. The story I heard was they picked Yuca Mountain over a place in Louisiana and Washington State was because it was the least politically sensitive site.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
maybe drop it on known ISIS strong holds? for starters.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Funny you should mention political shenanigans Sam. The story I heard was they picked Yuca Mountain over a place in Louisiana and Washington State was because it was the least politically sensitive site.

Put it at the Nevada Test Site. That place is so contaminated, it'll never be cleaned up.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yucca Mountain in Nevada! Billions of your tax dollars were spent on this high level wast repository and not one gram of waste was ever stored there. You can thank Harry Reed on this issue! The facility is/was 100% complete and the state of Nevada then refused to allow any waste to be sent there.

Harry Reed GFY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Give it to Iran for free!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They have tons of the stuff stored at the INL atomic test site in Idaho. It's not a safe place. It's earthquake prone and over the southern Idaho aquifer. They government has agreed several times to get it moved but it's still here. They keep piling on lie after lie. It was supposed to go to Yucca Mtn but like has been said, that's a Harry Reid boondoggle.

BTW, a lot of our atomic waste is from reactors in places like France and other European countries. The feds think its safer here where we can control it rather than there where possibly terrorists can get it. We're the world's nuke waste storage pit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Isn't much of it destined for WIPP at Carlsbad, NM?
After they re-open, of course.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kkahmann
I'm talking about spent fuel from Nuclear Reactors used for power generation.

What do we do with the waste?

Drop it in the deep ocean? Deep underground depository? Shoot it into orbit?

The law of the land is that the fed gov is supposed to take possession of the spent fuel and put in in Yucca Mountain. Of course .gov can ignore any laws they don’t like. With Harry retiring, there’s a chance that gets back on track in the next administration.

The spent fuel actually has a good bit of the energy of the uranium and the other transuranic nasty stuff that can still be harnessed, just not by our currently operating reactor technology. Most likely it will someday be reprocessed and burned further. That also significantly reduces the half-life of the eventual unusable waste.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I saw a thing on TV one time, long ago, about places in the ocean where it could be dropped, encased in concrete, and molten lave would carry it back down into the earth. Sounds like a good idea if these places really exist. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My nephew has a PhD in glass engineering. He did a good part of his research at the Hanford facility in WA working on tying up nuke waste in glass. If they can get it to work, it will be impervious to water, earthquakes, etc. It will also be easy to handle. I don't know what the current status of it is.
After graduation, he got out of that. He's now working for a company that makes bullet proof glass so he's out of the loop.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Isn't much of it destined for WIPP at Carlsbad, NM?
After they re-open, of course.

I think WIPP is just for defense waste, not commercial, but I’m not absolutely certain.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Deep underground depository--Eurajoki in Finland is due to start accepting used fuel rods in 2020--Forsberg in Sweden has just approved a site there, France has also approved a site.

I heard a rumour that Germany and France are negotiating with Finland to take theirs also.

Rufus is right--there is a good bit of energy left in the spent fuel but current technology limits its recovery.

There really is a lot of places that it could be stored safely but no one wants it in their backyard and therefore all the problems are political.

Eruojoki in Finland was tickled to get it--town of 6000 with 700 new high paying jobs. Lots of competition for the site in Sweden also.

Northwestern Ontario has lost 30 paper mills in the last 20 years--all the little towns up here are quickly turning into 1 gas station whistlestops. Its an economically depressed area. My own kids had to move away for employment--but nobody wants it here either.

I think we ought to find a place to store it and then go Nuclear--them windmills are a good idea that didn't work.
Green Power my a$$

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think part of the problem is that "hot" waste actually erodes most container materials in fairly short time scales hence the research into glass encasement..

We have similar political issues surrounding such waste and at the moment its stored in vast ponds at a reprocessing plant.

The trouble is that what ever is decided, the whole process of retrieving, processing for transport/storage and the entombment will be hugely expensive. It is also complicated by the fact that much of the waste goes back to the 1950's and nobody is exactly what is in the current storage ponds..
Incidentally one of the worlds worst nuclear accidents (the 1957 Kyshtym disaster) happened at a Russian storage facility when the cooling system of one of their “storage tanks” inadvertently failed allowing the waste to overheat and explode. The resultant explosion/fire contaminated a huge swath of land that is still closed to humans today.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Finland, like most of Europe, will be Muslim controlled in a decade or two. That will put a powerful weapon in the hands of those who we really don't want to have such weapons. They might not be able to use them for nukes, but dirty bombs are very scary, too.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know nothing about nuclear science, but I recall hearing an energy expert explain that used nuclear fuel (like after several hundred years) would eventually be recycled again and generate even more power. But I have no idea what the details were about. Anybody hear of anything like this?

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.