Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good day,

About a month ago I hunted Wildebeest with a Ruger American in 30-06 and was pretty successful. 3 Wildebeest 3 bullets no issues whatsoever.

The reason I share this with you is I personally do not like the injection molded stocks as they do feel cheap and 'flimsy', but the thing is, the moment you pick up that rifle to make the shot you do not stand there and think: well, this is a very nice stock and it just feels like quality material were used to manufacture it smile

We simply pick the rifle up get on target and fire the shot. There is no way that we think about the flimsy plastic at that time. We do not buy these rifles to think of how nice they are, we buy them to use them for hunting and they do that pretty well.

As long as the stock shape fits us fairly well you will not notice what you are holding when it really matters.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 09/10/15.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
m77 - can't disagree with your results and the fact that the "polymer" stocks offer weather proof utility. Just wish OEM manufacturer's used a stiffer material/design in the fore-ends.
Secondly, the awful sound the butt makes when struck...HOLLOW!
People come up with all kinds of solutions i.e. 'fill material' to make that sound go away. BUT when you sight them in they tend to stay that way...unless they get run over. Homesteader

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here was the first group I fired from my M77 mk II 350 rem mag when working up hand loads.

[Linked Image]

While Ruger's could you some refinements, they generally shoot quite well right out of the box.

Needless to say I haven't made upgrading the stock a priority.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm glad you guys said this. We tend to fix stuff till it's broke......

Bed rifles that shoot sub-moa, switch out polymer parts that never break, lap rings that are perfectly aligned.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People think they are ugly and make fun of them, but I don't worry about my Ruger "boat paddle" stocks or their effect on accuracy. A few years back I took the .300WM and .30-06 to the range for a final check-out before elk season. After a few shots at 100 to verify the scope, I nailed two clay pigeons at 600 yards with five shots total, two with one rifle and three with the other.

The .300WM (center) is a factory config. The .338WM (left) is a semi-custom and the .30-06 (right) came in a Ruger brown laminate stock, which now sits in a closet.

Dings, dents, scuffs, wet weather, humidity or temperature changes? Who cares?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/13/15. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The original 77 MKII All-Weather Is one of my favorite way ugly hunting rifles. Mine is the go to GP big game tool in the gun cabinet. It also makes on ok boat paddle. As far as seeming flimsy...nope.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've found that even the cheapest, most flexible stocks shoot just fine as long as they have enough gap to prevent the stock from touching the barrel. You can get buy with a very small free float with a stiffer stock where the more flexible versions need a larger gap.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I agree that what a stock (or a rifle) looks like in the minutes up to the shot doesn't matter as long as the bullet goes where it should. But a hunt is a lot more than the last couple of minutes. In many cases a person will tote a rifle for a week to get to that last 5 minutes and a good looking, good handling rifle is a pleasure to tote and some rifles because of balance, feel, or looks aren't a pleasure. I would rather tote something I like.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tennessee

Bed rifles that shoot sub-moa, switch out polymer parts that never break, lap rings that are perfectly aligned.

All good posts so far, with this being the best.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
5sdad - yes, so far so good. Ruger 'boat paddle' stocks are like woodpecker lips...very tough. In 2006 I purchased a Ramline stock for a Howa .30/06 barreled action for loaner use. So far its proven to be Mr. Woodpeckers brother...also tough. Nothing tupperware-ish about it. Homesteader

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The latest Ruger Hawkeye Synthetic stocks are quite nice accept bedding and have a stiff forearm. Must have used a better grade of plastic recycled bottle!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't think there is a stiffer plastic stock than than the Ruger Zytel boat paddle. I also don't think there is a stock that out that transmits any more recoil than that thin Zytel stock. I had one in .30-06 that was anything but pleasant to shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 350 has the post boat paddle stock, and the barrel is not free floated. Also the group was shot with the heavy factory trigger and a 2.5x scope.

My contention is most factory rifles shoot quite well as is by simply working up a hand load. And as noted, sometimes load work can be very quick and simple.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Tennessee

All good posts so far, with this being the best.

Ain't that the truth........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
My 350 has the post boat paddle stock, and the barrel is not free floated. Also the group was shot with the heavy factory trigger and a 2.5x scope.

My contention is most factory rifles shoot quite well as is by simply working up a hand load. And as noted, sometimes load work can be very quick and simple.

One of the great things about Ruger M77, MKII and Hawkeye triggers is they are very easy to work on. I have a safe full of same and the only one I haven't touched is the two-stage in my .22-250 MKII VT. The others all benefited to one degree or another.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.