Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
YouTwo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just picked up a lightly used Model 70 Coyote Laminate in the classifieds here. It is a short action, pushfeed model, with the older style Winchester trigger (not the MOA).

I had a chance to shoot it today and started having an issue with the cocking after 15 rds. First indication was that the trigger was not reset after loading a new round. Thought I bumped the trigger upon reloading, but the firing pin had dropped by itself. I could replicate this condition with an empty chamber.

I disassembled the bolt and everything looks great. Hardly any wear. If I point the muzzle vertically down, the firing pin will cock upon closing the bolt. If it is anything less than vertical, the firing pin won't cock, or it will drop when the safety is put to the fire position.

I would appreciate any advice on how to fix this issue, or at least what is wrong, before I take it to a smith. It is a very nice rifle otherwise and shot well.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd stop shooting it entirely until you have a smith look it over and make repairs. It sounds like someone might have done a home job on the trigger and it's too light,or maybe worse.Who knows?

I'd have it looked at right away and would not shoot it. Anything that touchy is an accidental discharge waiting to happen. Who needs that? smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
YouTwo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, that is the plan until I can get it to a qualified smith. Just kind of curious what the problem might be before I get the opportunity to do so.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
There's likely nothing in need of repair, just adjustment. I've had them do this when trying to lighten the trigger. Take the action out of the stock and adjust the trigger just a bit heavier. Have you adjusted a "real" Model 70 trigger before? There's nothing to it.

YouTwo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No, I haven't adjusted this model trigger before. I just watched a couple you-tube videos showing how, so I'll try that first. I can see that the nuts are much lower on the trigger than those on my FN SPR or those triggers in the video. It is definitely set light. I'm away from home on a fire assignment, so don't have my tools handy. Anyone know offhand what size wrench I'll need? I'll go buy a couple at the hardware store and see if that solves the issue.

Thanks for the help!

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Two thin 1/4 inch opened wrench, one very fine right angle screwdrivers, plenty of kroil, PB blaster or and old nut breaker we used in aviation called 'mouse milk' !
Better yet look up a guy here on the fire that goes by 'Redneck' he is a mod 70 guru gunsmith, Ive not used him but several friends have and say he is real deal and fast turnaround, fair prices! very best WinPoor
My money is the owner before you adjusted trigger past the 'safe' zone and its not resetting on every bolt of new round, what cal? Winchester let some real low quality or bad QC stuff in the last few days of New Haven, esp. in the WSSM line, YMMV WinPoor

YouTwo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I found a couple small 1/4" wrenches at NAPA today, so I was able to adjust the two small trigger nuts. There was little to no tension on the spring from the top nut. The rifle is operating correctly now and passes the drop test on the buttstock. I'll mess with fine tuning it once I get home from fire season, but it is safe for now. That looks to have been the issue...thanks for the help!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by YouTwo
I found a couple small 1/4" wrenches at NAPA today, so I was able to adjust the two small trigger nuts. There was little to no tension on the spring from the top nut. The rifle is operating correctly now and passes the drop test on the buttstock. I'll mess with fine tuning it once I get home from fire season, but it is safe for now. That looks to have been the issue...thanks for the help!
Originally Posted by YouTwo

BINGO very best WinPoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This windows 10 is doing stupid stuff with my computer! The little hand, pointer is jumping all over 19 " hanging up in bottom right of screen! I deal with best buy, they go with the Russian security BS, Im going USA ASAP!!!!! v best winpoor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 37 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.