Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I want another 45 besides my Ruger 3 screw but I get cold feet with the price of a new FA. I found one that I love but every time I am about to say yes I wonder if it is worth the 2500+ pricetag.

I have owned a few pythons in my life but would never consider paying what they go for now. For some reason I am close to justifying the FA.

What's your take on them (FA)?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fit and finish is like a fine swiss watch. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a limited edition mdl 83 Alaskan Master guide series 454 that had roundbutt grip frame and 5 1/2" barrel. It fit me perfectly, I could shoot it very accurately and my buddies asking price was quite reasonable. But I didn't have the $1100 at the time so I lost out.

I do plan on getting a mdl 83 built exactly the way I want it one of these days, I just need to commit the funds to the project.

For revolvers they are in a class of their own and can't be compared to mass produced guns, because they aren't. They will hold their value.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I disagree about holding their value. I bought a new 83 FA .454 back in 1997. It cost $1600 and change. A friend of mine bought the same gun on Gunbroker a couple years ago for $1200, like new in the box. Don't get me wrong, I love my FA, but they aren't investments!

Ken
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by desertoakie
I disagree about holding their value. I bought a new 83 FA .454 back in 1997. It cost $1600 and change. A friend of mine bought the same gun on Gunbroker a couple years ago for $1200, like new in the box. Don't get me wrong, I love my FA, but they aren't investments!

The 83's in the Casull don't hold their value like the 97's.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I want another 45 besides my Ruger 3 screw but I get cold feet with the price of a new FA. I found one that I love but every time I am about to say yes I wonder if it is worth the 2500+ pricetag.

I have owned a few pythons in my life but would never consider paying what they go for now. For some reason I am close to justifying the FA.

What's your take on them (FA)?

I bought a 97 and it was a very fine revolver. But there is something about them that I don't like. It's almost indescribable but I'll try.

The frame and overall size is awesome. And in .44 Special (mine was) I encountered no COAL problems with the cylinder. But if it's in a longer case, you'll find you have to seat over the driving band with certain, longish type bullets. So, the size is great, but there are drawbacks to it.

The tolerances are almost too good. When things dirty up you may have to really press on the cartridge to get them in the chamber enough to rotate the cylinder. When you thumb the hammer, they don't have the lightning fast feel of a Ruger or Colt. I can't explain it really but they're almost too good.

Also, if I stand on my hind legs and shoot with both my Flattop and FA, there is no difference. I hit everything or miss everything equally. So you sorta find yourself asking WTF you paid that much for something that your 29 or Colt or Vaquero will already do.

If you lay out prone or off a bench, you'll find they group tighter than anything. But as I said, it can't be seen when you start busting clays, cans, or critters. I have rolled a few 200 meter chickens with my old 97, but I've also done that with my 29 and Flattop.

One last thing, FA used a front sight height needed to achieve zero with 180 or 200gr bullets. Name one fugking person you know that spends $2K on a .44 Special, to shoot 200gr XTP's. I've never met one. When I called them and told them I wanted a different sight, they charged me like $40 or some schit.

And if you want a custom like trigger, go ahead and factor in the cost of having it "tuned" because the "untuned" version isn't anything to write home about.

I sold it after determining I'd rather put the money toward an old Colt, custom Ruger, classic Smith, etc.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Freedom Arms is just 10 miles down the road from the house. I went in there once with the wife and the checkbook. I won't make that mistake again. Next time I'm leaving the wife at home! Maybe that way an FA revolver will just sort of follow me home.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't like the feel of the grip frame of ANY of the FA's; I like the feel of a Ruger Bisley much better. And I think Travis hit on it about the accuracy. Sure it may be better technically, but it won't make ANY difference in the field.

I'd rather have a Ruger Bisley than any FA.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Travis, you just prolonged my decision to drop that much loot. Thanks.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I don't like the feel of the grip frame of ANY of the FA's; I like the feel of a Ruger Bisley much better. And I think Travis hit on it about the accuracy. Sure it may be better technically, but it won't make ANY difference in the field.

I won't say that.

There are shooters in this world that can probably take advantage of the accuracy potential of the FA's. Even in the field/hunting or whatever. I'm just not one of them.

I think their round butt grips are second to none. Really like them.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Travis, you just prolonged my decision to drop that much loot. Thanks.

I really wanted one after shooting RJM's. But after owning it and shooting it more extensively, it just wasn't for me.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been fortunate to fire many different variations of factory and custom Bisleys as well as FA 83's over the years. The FA 83 roundbutt is the best grip frame in my hands. It's rare for me to shoot groups a bit over an inch at 25 yds offhand, but I have been able to do with that with the mdl 83. I'd much rather have that be the case with the Bisley, but you have to go with what works for you.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I Want One! - and don't care what anyone else thinks or rationalizes about them.

Only thing holding me back is the $$$$.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

And you know this how?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have three 97s and an 83...and never spent $2K on any of them. Buy USED it is the only way to go. Almost all you will find will be at minimum excellent...most will still have the box.

As to the guns, if you want a 97 in .45 Colt make sure your favorite bullet will fit the length of the cylinder. They are much shorter than a Ruger or a Colt. The perfect round for the 97 is the .44 Special. Being a little shorter than the Colt or .41 Magnum all cast and jacketed bullets will fit the chambers.

Average selling price on GunBroker for a used 97 is in the $1650-2000 range depending on the caliber and configuration. I recently picked up a brand new custom length 6" .327 for $1900 delivered. The .22 5.5" was $1650, excellent but no box and the 4.25" .41 Magnum that Travis shot was $1850 but it came with over $500 worth of reloading supplies and a holster....so I figure I have $1350 into the gun. Right now there are several used 97s on GunBroker. One is a 7.5" .44 Special with octagon barrel, 3# action, trigger stop and custom walnut grips. It has a BuyNow of $1900...if you go over to the FA website and add it all up if you ordered the gun today it would be $2975. If it was a .41 I would have already hit the BuyNow. If you know exactly what you want and have a little patience you can find a bargain that when you sell it you won't loose anything.

As to shooting...I've had Colt SAAs, USFAs, and Rugers...all have shot well. The big difference for me with heavy loads is the Model 83 grip rolls much better for me than the Super Blackhawk or Bisley. The Bisley recoils right back into my hand and I can feel it in my wrist and elbow. I've also owned 83 in .454/.45 Colt and .475..both recoiled way too much for me.

For what I do with a Single Action, as in hunting and long range target shooting, if I only had one it would be my 6" 83 in .41 Magnum.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I Want One! - and don't care what anyone else thinks or rationalizes about them.

PW...those Marlin .41 carbines you have that will never be shot and are still NIB...one just sold on GunBroker for $4K... I just sold my friend's who died for the estate...his .357 sold for $3075.00 last Sunday... Sell one and you can buy the 97...and a lot more...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
IMO Freedom Arms makes the best factory revolver ever built. I have never handled a custom revolver that was built any better.
Yes, they are pretty pricey and the waiting time to have one built is long. My last two required approximately 15 months to be built. One is an 83 in 44 mag with 6 inch octagon barrel, polished trigger and hammer and the action job. The other is a 97 in .22 LR with the optional 22 mag cylinder. It also has a 6.5 inch octagon barrel, polished trigger and hammer and action job.

Its not just they are so accurate but you are holding a piece of art work in your hand. Just cycling the action reveals it is built like a high end swiss watch.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregon45

And you know this how?
Okay, FOR ME, it wouldn't make any difference in the field. I wouldn't take a shot on large game beyond 100 yards, and I could hit just fine with either revolver at that distance. A better marksman could push that further.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by P_Weed

I think that's what's holding everyone back.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'm more of an 83 guy. Love them. Couple of my custom smiths are close in accuracy at 50 and 100 yards but they are heavily customized and a good deal more cash than a factory FA.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by plastikosmd; 09/24/15.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.