Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I ran across this material the other day and wonder if anyone here has tried it or seen it in person.

http://www.fineturnage.com/shop/home.php?cat=265

I have a slot on Gene's list coming up and thought I would do something different.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't ever tried it but aren't fossils akin to rock? I'm guessing it is going to require carbide drills and is going to be tough to work with. If Gene agrees to give it a go you're going to have a beautiful and valuable knife.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Saw a custom knife in red fossil coral.

Drooled so much over it it started to rust.

Sweetest handle I ever saw. All my knives are users, but if I had one in coral I'd have to think about safe-queenin' it.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Saw a custom knife in red fossil coral.

Drooled so much over it it started to rust.

Sweetest handle I ever saw. All my knives are users, but if I had one in coral I'd have to think about safe-queenin' it.

Did you handle it? Just wondering the texture if any.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just curious. Does the fossil coral run on the heavy side???

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
From the website - These scales were cut from genuine fossil coral found in oceans around the world. I put lots of time and effort in preparing them. They have been dried, sanded and buffed. Great for high end knife handles. *(fossil coral is easier to work than Mammoth tooth!)

BTW - I've dealt with Charles and found him to be an honest and excellent craftsman.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by CRounds
From the website - These scales were cut from genuine fossil coral found in oceans around the world. I put lots of time and effort in preparing them. They have been dried, sanded and buffed. Great for high end knife handles. *(fossil coral is easier to work than Mammoth tooth!)

BTW - I've dealt with Charles and found him to be an honest and excellent craftsman.

I am looking for real world knowledge. While this material may be great for high end knife handles, that is not the same as a knife that is going to get dropped on a rock while soaked with blood.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sorry WeimsnKs, I didn't feel right handling the piece as I couldn't buy it.

But it appeared to be the same type texture/durability as elephant tusk knives I have. I'd use the crap out of it, but dropping on a rock, I don't know............

Most custom makers offer a lifetime guarantee, as long as the knife is not abused. I have no experience with Mr. ingram, but it appears many others here do, maybe they can chime in as to warranty.

Probably best thing to do is contact Mr. Ingram. If he'll work with it, he'll probably warranty it. If he won't work with it, that's probably a clue.

Nice choices to be torn between!

Last edited by Fubarski; 03/20/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

I am looking for real world knowledge. While this material may be great for high end knife handles, that is not the same as a knife that is going to get dropped on a rock while soaked with blood.

Hearing the idea of a true 'user' knife, the idea that every tool might get dropped from time to time.

This would be a real boring place if we all thought alike. With that, the coral just dose not do it for me like mammoth-tusk dose.

[Linked Image]

Something raises the hair on the back of my neck when I think we may still have a DNA connection to what these things were like to hunt!

It may have been a time when cutting and hunting tools took a leap forward in refinement and perfection?

I keep saying it, but never have, but will use a section of Mammoth-Tusk in a knife. Back to WeimsnKs's thoughts on dropping it, I think I will use a full-round grip-sized section near the tusk's point just behind the guard, and trail it with Dessert-Ironwood (like this) . It would be a shame in either event to see a chip coming out of a section of history.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
S
S
Hello! I'm new to this forum, but not new to the material in question. The fossil coral works nice, but you can't rush it as it is brittle. I keep a bottle of CA Gap filler handy anytime I use it. I get great results out of it. Feel free to contact me with any questions. http://sedonacustomknives.jimdo.com/

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
gratuitous spam?

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a thought.
I have a buddy that had a set of scales made for his 1911 from Petoskey stone with is a type of fossilized coral. The 1st time he shot the pistol they split from the screw hole to the frame.
If there is any point in the grip acting as a stress riser (liners, tight set pins, etc) I be wary of them breaking.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
S
S
Hi Sam..............hope my post did not offend. I am new and could not figure out how to post a pic on here, so the next best thing was to put a link to my website. Lots of interesting post/folks on here. I sure do enjoy reading it all.

Thanks,
Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sedonacustomknives15
Hi Sam..............hope my post did not offend. I am new and could not figure out how to post a pic on here, so the next best thing was to put a link to my website. Lots of interesting post/folks on here. I sure do enjoy reading it all.

Thanks,
Steve

Welcome to the Campfire Steve!!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I didn't have any trouble with it. I just wouldn't go playing mumbley peg with it

[Linked Image]

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com
S
S
Good looking knife. If you are ever in Sedona AZ, look me up!

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by sedonacustomknives15
Good looking knife. If you are ever in Sedona AZ, look me up!

Where are you located ? We have a timeshare on the outskirts of town we visit from time to time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (160user, 1234, 10ring1, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,891
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.