My wife wanted to go see this so we did.

An OK movie I guess. A sorta wooden retelling of the story of Esther from the Old Testament. Her uncle with whom she lives is a Jewish scribe in the employ of the King of Persia.

The King's previous wife wouldn't support his plans to invade Greece so he divorces her and seeks a new one. A whole bunch of young cuties from the kingdom are rounded up and dolled up, including our heroine Esther, who conceals the fact that she is Jewish.

Esther, being free spirited and educated get the slot, natch.

On the way the guy who liked her in her old life is snatched up too, but to be turned into a palace eunuch.

Here's the part where I lost interest.... her old beau, castrated as he is, still tries to convince her to run off with him to Jerusalem as they had planned, although marriage was now out of the question. She declines, near as I can tell because she is smitten with the studly King. I didn't much care WHAT happened to her after that, or to the king, who was an idiot anyhow.

A movie to watch out for that DID look good: The Nativity Story. 'Spect I already know how it ends but the cinematography and recreation of those times look great.

Birdwatcher