Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've heard many times over the last few years that the "real" meindl boots are "so much better" than the Cabela's meindls. Cabela's has a contract with Meindl, so they're the only ones who can sell Meindl boots here in the states. I've owned the cabela's version, and I've had nothing but success with them. I've done some research and tried to figure out the difference, but I'll be durned if I can find it.

The ones that keep saying that the cabela's meindls are a lower quality boot are typically those that are selling a competitor. I've asked several of them (lathrop and sons, AJ Brooks) to tell me what corners were cut, and I haven't gotten a straight answer yet. I did hear "it's a price point boot" and "they use lower quality materials", but nobody seems to know where those corners are or what lower quality materials were used.

From what I can see, the cabela's version features the same nubuck leather, goretex lining, vibram sole, lacing system, nylon shank, PU/EVA midsole, air active footbed and rubber rand.

If anybody here knows, I'd love to know the difference. I've only seen pictures of the non-US version, but the only difference I can see is that the collar is lined with leather instead of cloth.

Is there anything else I'm missing that would justify the price difference?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was told that the Cabela's version was on a different production run to meet their particular price point. To meet the price point, the Cabela's production run cuts costs in various ways such as using a different grade of leather, etc. There have been specialized production runs made for other companies that have specs for a higher grade of leather with some minor modifications over the norm. So, they are all not the exact same production boot with different labels.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I looked at both online when I purchased the Cabela's Meindl last year. It has suited my needs - light hiking and general hunting and packing duties -perfektly. The two boots though are worlds apart from what I saw online.

I know the real Perfekt has double stitching attaching the sole to the boot, steel shank versus nylon for the Cabela's Perfekt, and a heavier boot.

From what I saw, the real Perfekt is a serious hiking boot - stout leather, very heavy, and very stiff. It is not gortex lined (a plus to my thinking), and they look like just the boot if you are doing some serious uphill, downhill, sidehill, and weight carrying. Here is a blurb I found online about the real "Perfekt":

Meindl Super Perfekt

The Super Perfekt is a classic European high alpine boot.

Category D - Meindl Super Perfekt

The boot is handmade from very thick and rugged Swiss Alpine cattle hide and the upper is triple stitched to the sole. The sole is Vibram's Montagna which is made from a very hard rubber compound for cutting and holding an edge. The full length fully orthotic shank is spring steel re-inforced for maximum strength and rigidity.

Specifications

Upper Material - Swiss Military Cowhide
Lining - Leather
Footbed - Air-Active drysole
Sole - Vibram Montagna Sole "genuine treble stitched"
Weight approx - 1370 g (size 8)
Sizes - 6 to 14
Extras - Suitable for crampons.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I compared a pair of Meindl Island Pros (which I have now) and the comparable Cabelas boot - I think it's the Alaska hunter/hiker?

My version is at http://www.meindl.de/english --> models --> mfs models --> Island Pro.

At the time when I was doing all my research I could have cited all this in my sleep. I compared actual boots side by side. I did find that the boots were slightly different - the Cabelas version had a different lining, the leather seemed a little less rugged than the Meindl version, the tag on the boot rated it a "B" hiker while the international is a B/C (which would indicate a less stiff boot, not necessarily less quality), and I think the sole was different. That's the best I can remember this morning.

I'm no boot expert so all I know is that they are different boots - slightly. And the idea that they are different to meet a specific price point makes sense to me. All that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Cabela's version. I love my Island Pro's and I'm sure the Cabelas works well. I got mine from www.ajbrooks.com and have been super happy.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
arifleman, the international perfekt is a different boot. It has a norwegian welt and replacable soles. That one I can see. I also found that they use a different, smoother, maybe tougher leather.

The island pro mfs, however, is pretty similar to the hiker and denali. I have a hunch the interior leather may be the only difference. Here's a pic:
Island pro MFS:
[Linked Image]

And cabela's alaska hiker:

[Linked Image]

and cabelas denali:
[Linked Image]

In my bedroom right now, I've got boots from meindl (cabela's)- the alaskan hiker, hunter, denali and perfekt. Add to that the Lowa Tibet, the Zamberlan 940, the Kenetrek hardscrabbles, the asolo sasslongs, and the hanwag. I'm certainly not going to keep all of them, but I wanted to do a good comparison video and show how they compare. They are all top notch boots, to be sure.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's a pic of my 4-5 year old Denali's from Cabela's. They look just like those island pros with a few slight differences.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You answered your own question; Even though the Cabela's Alaska Hiker looks similar to the Cabela's Denali, they are not the same boot. Same goes for the Island Pro, it is not the same boot no matter which way you squint your eyes while thinking they look kinda similar. Not saying anything bad about the Cabela's specified Meindls, but they are just that, their production is modified and changed so to fit the Cabela's price point.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I may have answered my question, just not sure.

Again, I've spoken to several folks who have told me the canadian/international meindl boots are "much better." I'm trying to figure out if that is really the case. From what I can find, they may be a little different, but not necessarily better. The inside of the collar of the boot may be lined with leather, and perhaps it is made with a different leather. Neither of which, in my opinion, makes the cabela's boots inferior.

Of the 6 pair of high end boots i have here now, they all use the same full grain nubuck as the cabela's meindl. The hanwag's haven't arrived yet (they get here today) but I think they may be lined with leather. I'm still trying to figure out why that's good? I've never had a problem with the inside of my boot wearing out, and to me, it would seem the cloth interior would breath better.

Just trying to put to rest the story that the meindls from cabela's are an inferior product. IMO, they belong in the top echelon of boots with the rest.

If there is something I'm missing, let me know.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have the Meindl Island's bought where I now live in British Columbia and the Cabela's Perfekt Hunters (CPH) where I am on my third pair. They fit differently and the sizing is different. The CPH have a larger heel pocket and are wider in the toe box, and fit me better (ie no blisters) versus the Canadian sold Island. There is a major price savings with the CPH from the US as well. The leather may be sightly thinner on the CPH, but is thick enough for a two week back pack trip pursuing stone sheep a month ago. Try them on, your feet will be different than mine for sure. I do endorse Meindl boots for their quality, durability and fit.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input, Kurt.

I've worn the cabela's meindls for years, and i love them. I've never had a problem with the leather on any of them and I've had hundreds and thousands of miles of great service. I even took the Denali Hunter to the top of Rainier and they were awesome. I had them lined up for a trip to Aconcagua in a few months, but it looks like that's going to fall through.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Kurt,

Great point. I do believe the boots have different lasts. And when I tried on the two, the Island Pros fit my foot better. You assessment is spot on. I have a narrow heel, so I got a pair of the Island Pros in wide. Was the right fit for my duck shaped foot but may not be for others. YMMV.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If this will help,I used to work with a retail group who advised the Cabelas.The material/product may be the same in both boots,however Cabelas has hugh "buying power" and can garantee a current purchase price.Factories live off of pre-sold large orders to meet expenses(payroll,insurance,ect) Their profits come from on-time production and not having to borrow money to work off of.They sell good boots,some of mine are 20 years old now.
Their clothing sucks,really made cheap these days...

Last edited by rifle; 10/10/11.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boots are a lot like backpacks in that depending on fit and end use, what is golden for one, may prove complete junk for another. The boys at AJ Brooks did their best to fit me with Meindls, but they do not fit my wide foot and are just short of death in my book. To the person they fit, be it the version out of Canada or be it the version out of Cabela's, they can be golden. I'd not get so wrapped around the axle over what others think of your particular Cabela's boot. If it works for you, that is what truly matters.

Best smile

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The hanwag's haven't arrived yet (they get here today) but I think they may be lined with leather. I'm still trying to figure out why that's good?

glove leather lined boots are less likely to raise a blister than fabric lined boots. I don't think that they make WPB lined boots that also have leather lining, so you've got a choice of one or the other.

J
J
Just got home from Cabala's after being shown the "Cabela's "Meindl" -- the perfekt Lite hightop model. See, I had never [i]heard[/i] of Meindl. I was so pleased and excited when I tried them on...perhaps the greatest shoe experience I've ever had -- form-fitting soles like Burdenstocks? C'mon! So I came home and googled up Meindl, which led me to this forum. It's obvious the folks on this discussion know their boots. But from a guy who has just discovered Meindl, it was an experience a 50-year-old man does have every day. Either way they are manufactured - for Cabela's or Internationally, this boot will make my life more enjoyable on a daily basis. I'll pick them up tomorrow.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Here is a US company that sells a Meindl boot.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MEINC

I just found an issue with my five year old Cabelas Meindls, the stitching just above the heel on both boots is coming apart.

Also the Gore-Tex liner started leaking this year.

I got in touch with Cabelas and they said bring them back, but I'm not going to as I no longer have the receipt and their policy is to give you a gift card in return for the boots for the amount of the lowest sale price they had on them.

Except for the stitching the boots are still in really good shape, I think with a upholstery needle and some thread I can repair them well enough to get a few more years out of them.

My next boots will be Scarpas.

Last edited by elkhunter_241; 11/17/12.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
W
W
So, this is my ... Sixth? Pair of Meindls. I ordered them from, Hoffman Boots out of Kellogg ID. They're the, six inch V Cruiser, rated "C" class. They are actually made in, Slovenia ... But they're Meindl and they're the best I've found so far--I've had Cabela's and AJ Brooks. And they don't have the leather inside the collar anymore, Meindl did away with that ten years ago. But, I'm keeping them in spite of these drawbacks because Hoffman's resoles them for 85$! No other Meindls I've owned so far have been repairable and once the soles go they're trash. My last pair, some German-made Island Pros, rotted out at the soles! They were ten years old and the tops are still perfect, a shame
I have to toss 'em ... I would have had to send them back to Meindl to be resoled, not worth the risk in my estimation. Hoffman's only carries one model of hikers/work Meindl's, 6 or 10 in. V Cruiser. They are boot makers (4 generations, I understand) and cater to the lineman industry. I've been looking for an alternative source for Meindl boots in the US for some thirty years! Finally, Hoffman's may be it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Psst -- go back to the Backpack Hunting forum and look 6 threads down ...

John Warner, what you describe is precisely the reason I went back. Twice.

For Meindls' sake, I hope their stuff is better than the Cabela's.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wagnerman- I have the same issue with a pair of Meindl Taigas. The sole is crumbling apart but the upper portion is still in great shape and extremely comfortable after 12 years of hunting use. I don't know if they are repairable or not but I'll give Hoffman and AJ an email to see if they can. I have no complaints with the boots at all and I hope I can continue to use them until the tops fall apart , I have a lot of memories in these boots.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
10 years of walking around in the wood-presumably a lot-and the soles fell apart. How long do you think they should last? They soles are rubber, what did you expect to happen?

You can wear down steel heel clips in less time.

If the tops are perfect then you didn't use them much which is another issue.

Last edited by battue; 10/03/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,160
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.